We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night Lodging and Car Rental

Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
One Night Lodging and Car Rental

We are planning to be at the Waikoloa Beach - Marriott in a couple of weeks. We are needing a room somewhere else for our 1st night. We will be getting in around 5 pm, so just looking for something between the airport and that area at a reasonable price.

We are also looking at renting a car for 6 days. Any advice or specials?

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

http://www.konatiki.com/

Not sure what area of Hawaii you are looking at, for a hotel. If you are looking near Kona, and like a peaceful place, try the Kona Tiki. No TVs, phones, or air conditioning, but a guaranteed relaxing time, directly on the ocean.

We rented a car through Thrifty and had no problems. We usually check www.expedia.com first for rates, find the best rate, and then go to the car rental website to compare the rate there. Also, if you have AAA you can usually get a better rate.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

Between the airport and the Marriott, there are only two places to stay, but they both cost over double what the Marriott costs. (Kona Village and Four Seasons) So that's probably not what you are after.

So you'll probably want to head south to Kailua-Kona, and for one night, I'd probably go for the Royal Kona (if you get a remodeled room) or the Kona Seaside (budget). Or call the Waikoloa Marriott and see if you can arrive a day early; then you don't have to worry about checking in and out.

As for car rentals, I'd take a half-hour and cruise each rental company's web site for last minute deals. I've consistently gotten great prices by registering with Budget's web site for their e-mail offers.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

in so many parts of the world there would be a near airport hotel such as you envision, but as was said, there isn't. Nada.

It is really just as easy to get to the Marriott after you land as to go south to Kailua-Kona to find some hotel. And then the next day you have to drive a bit farther than you would have.

Is there a reason you didn't want to stay at the Marriott the first night? This is going to put a dent in Day 2 of your vacation.

For car rental specials I check all the major sites. Also go to Priceline and see what they come up with; they will offer a spread of companies that shows the ballpark. Then I pick the best prospects and go to their actual sites, check out the hot deals.

You can check www.biddingfortravel.com to see what people are getting on Name Your Own Price on Hotline, but unless it appears to be a substantial discount, you trade the ability to reserve and cancel without penalty. Priceline is no refunds, no changes on NYOP rentals.

Specials vary constantly; just check them out for your dates.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

oops, so sorry about the typo. I typed Hotline, but meant Priceline. I was thinking about Hotwire at the same time, and my wires crossed. ;-) (try Hotwire too if you wish)

Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

We are there on business, but the trip does not start until the day after we arrive, and our room is about $650/night, so we didn't really want to do that on our own. Initially we had planned to visit friends that first night, but they had to come back stateside today for a few weeks.

We toyed around with driving down the VNP, but with time on this trip, we are going to stick to the Kona side. We thought that for the first 1/2 of the day, we would check things out, rent snorkel equipment etc. (Any advice there would be great).

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

since the matttiott only charges about $250....if you are paying $650 a noght you are getting ripped to the max...go to the marriott..cancel the 650 a night res.

and save 400 a night

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

Um, $650 a night? You can stay at the Four Seasons for that (or close). That's definitely not right.

As others have said, nothing between the airport and Waikoloa Beach that's cheaper than the Marriot. That's the cheapest hotel there is north of the airport.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

oh, OK! Your company or what have you is paying this outrageous Marriott fee? It really doesn't cost anything like that much, so you might check out the cost of one night on your own. Husker Mike gave you a couple less expensive spots.

Seaside would be very very low end in comparison, but safe enough. Check the reviews on both here at TA (see the left menu).

You will have a time gap between checkout and checkin on Day 2, most likely. You don't want to go to the beach with luggage in the car. Most hotels will hold your luggage after you check out and before you check in.

You might try the Outrigger in Keauhou, which is next door to the snorkeling beach. An older hotel in need of a facelift with an outstanding location for what you want.

Rent from Snorkel Bobs, bring your own equipment, or go to Walmart or Kmart to buy some basic gear, then no need to return it.

Bear in mind it will be dark by the time you get your car and leave the airport, so get good directions, check Google maps or some other map program, and print it out.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

Snorkel Bob's is not too far back towards Kailua-Kona town from the Outrigger I mentioned. If your time is so limited, scratch what I said about Walmart. It'll take you 90 minutes of precious time to go find snorkel gear.

Do take a look at Google maps and get oriented. Try the hybrid view that contains the satellite images plus roadway overlay. You can search for any business and get directions.

Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Night Lodging and Car Rental

Thanks for all the advice. We will check out the outrigger as it sounds like a good spot for a day, esp the snorkeling. We will also use Snorkel Bob's as well. I agree on the outrageous cost....apparantly we are in some Cabana Suite or something of the like. I would rather stay cheaper and play more! Oh well, not our decision.

On another note, a couple of more questions.

On this trip (5 days) is it worth taking a day to drive to VNP? Any lava visible from the ground? (We will be back within 2 years).

We enjoy snorkeling and being around the water as much as possible. Snorkel trips? Kayaking? Our days are pretty chopped up with meetings, dinners etc. A group of us might like for the one night we have open an afternoon snorkel boat, followed by a fun night out.

Again, thanks for all of your advice. It has been most helpful!