We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnivore questions

montreal quebec
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Carnivore questions

We will be on BI in a week and change--for 12 days--and I'd like to know where is a good place to get a locally-ranched beef steak? I stress locally ranched because I always like to eat locally whenever possible, and I know there are huge ranchlands on the BI--would love to try it. We're looking for quality (as opposed to a typical "steakhouse experience" with huge quantities and greasy fried stuff on the sides). Any recommendations? We are staying in Waikoloa village and south Kona, but have overnights in volcano too and will be travelling almost everywhere at some point, so geography isn't critical. Also, is local beef available in the groceries? My husband does a mean BBQ himself and we have access to grills.

Another related matter--pork. I just read that the province of Alberta has been heavily fined for shipping poor pigs in despicable conditions--to Hawaii! And this pork is then called "Island Pork". Is this what's used in luaus? Do any of you have any inside scoop on where your pork really comes from? (Do any of you really care? LOL)

Thanks, Bobbi

northern california
Level Contributor
637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnivore questions

On your way to Hilo, make sure to stop at JJ's Meats in Honoka'a. The local beef they sell if great. You can also get "pre-marinated" teri beef there to cook up at your condo. Call for their hours.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnivore questions

Roy's (Waikoloa Beach area) and Alan Wong's Hualalai Grille (Four Seasons) both offer local steak dishes that are very good. Merriman's in Waimea is also very good at using almost entirely local produce and beef.

There's all sorts of big pigs running around here that we residents kill for our luaus, I don't know why anybody would import a pig.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnivore questions

We had excellent beef at Merrimans last month.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnivore questions

Should you want to buy local beef here, you can also get it at the Waikoloa Village Market and sometimes at KTA.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnivore questions

As TT said...only KTA markets...feature grass fed local beef. The only other reliable soutce it the Waikoloa village market for Parker Ranch prime beef............all the rest is ....well all the rest.

I drive 75 miles to buy Parker ranch steaks in Waikoloa Village...the only palace in all the state you can get this............best steak I have ever had in 50yr.....any time ...any where

Most restauraunts except Merrimans, serve "other" stuff

montreal quebec
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnivore questions

Thanks everyone--can't wait to get there and try some of your sacred cows. We'll bring some Montreal Steak Spice along for the BBQ.

Bobbi

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnivore questions

I have some pigs running wild in my yard that I only WISH would find themselves a lu`au.

My husband says grass fed ranched beef is tough and too lean to be good, all that scrambling around over lava (FWIW, he seems to have thought about this a lot), and says unless they grain feed the cattle at some point they will not become fine beef ...

I think he's saying that not all Parker Ranch beef is created equal, because it may start out the same but the finishing is what counts.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnivore questions

try the meat without loading it up with a lot of stuff.....Parker ranch beef works well with a thin coat of brown mustard. on each side....nothing else it then carmilizes and puts a non mustard tasting char/crust Waikoloa Market cuts the steaks about 1-3/4 thick....I like to put mine frozen on the grill....the outside is that steak house char with the center nice and rare.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnivore questions

Don't miss the Kona Inn...great food, great view.

I agree on the local beef...lean and tough, but tasty with right marinade!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnivore questions

I cannot agree about the Kona Inn. My office is right above it but we never go there anymore. Overpriced, mediocre food.

I actually really love grass-fed beef. I think it's far superior to grain-fed. The caviar of beef, true kobe beef, prized for its marbling, is traditionally from grass-fed cows.