We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

NOT MY MOUTH, but right from the companies, the first one to respond is Alamo with a definite NO. I will keep you posted on others as I hear and anyone else who has first hand info please post!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

"We had the same dilemma about driving Saddle Rd. Didn't want to violate the rental agreement but found it inconvenient and expensive to rent from Harper's for a day. We called up Alamo (the company we rented from) once on the BI and just asked if it's ok to drive it. They said it was fine.

It used to specify, three years ago, in the rental agreement that driving Saddle was not allowed. But the rental agreement from Alamo, from last month, omitted that and now just specifies no driving on unpaved roads. Which is why we called them up to make sure we weren't misreading anything. Hope this helps."

The above was from a poster on another thread. Alamo told her yes. (And the contract said yes, too. Well, at least it didn't say no.) So what's the deal? Depends on who's working that day? I'd ask to have a copy of the standard rental agreement faxed to you, so you can read the restrictions for yourself. The written contract is what is binding, not a verbal yes or no from the person at the counter.

NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

I pulled out our Alamo contract, dated 5/11/05, from my Hawaii file last night. Re-read the fine print Terms and Conditions on the back and then on the front. It says on the front: "Driving on unpaved roads is prohibited and voids coverage." Nothing about, Do not drive on Saddle Road. It did state that on the contract back in May '01. (This is from memory; I don't have that one anymore.) Why would they bother to remove that if it still applies?

We called up their Kona airport rental office location, 808 329-8896, on the second day of our trip. I was sitting next to my husband, so I heard him ask, "Are we allowed to drive on Saddle Rd.?" The conversation lasted less than a minute. He said that the lady who answered the phone, in reply to his question said, "Yes."

I guess it's possible she was very busy and could have made a mistake at the time. But I don't think so.

Anyway, Travelhappy is right in that what is in writing is what is binding.

NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

LikenDSun, just thought it was funny that when I first saw the title of your topic, I thought it was going to be a post from someone who works at one of the car rental companies on the BI, and you were going to tell us exactly how it is.

It does make real sense for each person who has an interest in finding out whether driving on Saddle Road is permitted, to do so with her/his respective rental company, preferably straight from their offices on the BI, as it is such a specific and localized issue.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

Hey all,

Sorry if the title was misleading, in hindsight I get it now, this thing is really getting confusing, below is the exact response to my email from Alamo yet others are getting different answers:

Dear Greg Rasmussen:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Vehicles rented from Alamo can not be taken on Saddle Road. Thank you for

your interest in renting an Alamo vehicle.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to email us back or

contact us at 1-800-GO-ALAMO.

Thank you,

Sheri

Reservations Internet Response

Alamo Rent A Car

HMMMMMMMM

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

As I was tyoing the last one this came in fromDear Mr. Rasmussen,

Thank you for contacting National Car Rental. Our vehicles are allowed to

be driven on any paved road, I did contact the location directly and was

advised that you are allowed on the saddle road. If you are interested in

rates please contact our reservation department at 800-227-7368 or check our

rates out at www.nationalcar.com .

Sincerely,

Darsie

Reservations Help Desk

National Car Rental

National:

Looks a little more promising!

NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

Hi Liken,

Hope you don't think I was criticizing your topic title. It wasn't misleading b/c you made it clear immediately once the post is opened. It's quite catchy and funny, actually. :)

Good info., thanks for sharing.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
557 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

I keep trying to reach AVIS - I've called 808-327-3000 (which is listed on their website as the number at their Kona location), but the number is not working. I e-mailed their customer service and will post the reply as soon as I get it. I also called AVIS customer service center and they told me that generally they allow cars on paved roads, but the representative was not familiar with the Island of Hawaii in particular.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

Aloha.......

With all the chatter...I called everyone here, this morning to see what was happening. As of now the Hotels and Condos for the most part are all telling visitors , as I, No

But.....was I suprised to learn that in past several months the policy has changed for some but not all..... this was a shock to me too.

Here is my survey result.....(.I did not inquire on driving to the summit. however as most told me paved roads only and the Summit road is not)

Avis......NO

Alamo...Yes

Budget..NO

Affordable... no comment

Enterprise...NO

National...Yes

Thrifty.....Yes

Hertz.....no comment

Harper...Yes

So it appears 50/50........ this is a new development that Alamo told me was in responce to heavy interest in this area and competition......they stressed however to the visitor center only and not the summit road.

Well..... thats a whole new kettle of fish.........sorry for the information that I put up.....It opened my eyes .....

So....there is the list........pick your own.

With apologies............Hawaii Dan

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
557 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

I am confused now - someone earlier posted that Alamo does NOT allow Saddle road, and Hawaiidan now says that it does...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
557 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The deal with car rentals from the horses mouth

I finally got through to Avis and the woman there told me that Saddle Road is off limits, as HawaiiDan said