We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Hapuna Beach will be under construction for our trip that we already paid for. Not compensating on rate at all.

We can stay there (no lounge, no music,no lobby view...and only $35 in "compensation")

or we can leave and go to either Mauna Lani or Kona Village...

price IS an object. We were planning to save a little booking Hapuna...which came in under $300.

Are we better off in a construction site with no Hawaiian Hula or cocktails and no lobby view, or moving to the "steerage" category of either of these others. Our flights are set in stone.

Ideas? We want a f/s resort on the beach and have to decide soon.

Thanks a lot!

Peterman

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,071 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

I've only stayed at the Mauna Lani so I don't have a comparison for you. I can't imagine anyone NOT enjoying the Mauna Lani, though. Even if your room isn't great the grounds are beautiful and service is terrific, without the resort feeling stuffy or too formal. From what I've heard, I think Kona Village would also be really neat.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Thanks Playa Girl.

I popped back in to say that we previously stayed at Orchid when it was a R-C and then when it was a Starwood, and we love Canoe House, but I had memories of walking around the hotel itself and I thought seeing a room and being underwhelmed.

That was probably 5 years ago, the M-L spa wasn't even finished, so we don't know what things are like today...

Also, made a call and got one of those not so filled with Aloha types on the phone at M-L and felt like "Oh, brother, am I going to feel like a second class citizen here?"

I called Kona Village and the person answered every single question in a very warm way...plus our dentists has been going there forever....just thinking out loud.

We like peace and quiet but we also like a nice beach...

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Guest House
Aloha Guest House
420 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

I second KVR. Understand, I'm an undisquised partisan and have been going there for over 30 years. It's a bit pricey, but the food, tennis, fitness center, and beach stuff is included, and most of us don't bother to rent a car. Read my review on TA called, "The magic of this place stuns me." If you do decide on somewhere else, at least call them and arrange for a tour. If it suits you, you'll be hooked! Oh, and by the way, "steerage" at KVR is still wonderful...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

There was a 100+ post thread comparing Prince, Mauna Lani, Orchid, even got into Kona Village. Read it and then ask specific quesitons--if any stone was left unturned :-)

If price is an object look at the Marriott reviews. I am a Mauna Lani fan but it admittedly is more UNLESS you can get the right price for your budget via the 25% off deal. All the rooms are about the same, just the view varies.

Thread was "Island of Hawaii forum: Help choosing: Hapuna Beach Prince or Fairmont Orchid" and I just bumped it up.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
3,782 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
4,479 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Have your tried calling the Hapuna directly and asking them? We always stay at the Hapuna and I can't imagine that they wouldn't offer the lounge activities at another spot on the property. And I'm sure they will move the buffet breakfast too.

You should also join the Prince Preferred.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State...
2,071 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Thanks to you all -- that lengthy "other" post absolutely pushed me in the right direction...

california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Oh and yes called direct and we are PP members but no special treatment.

We're going to pay more and switch to Mauna Lani based on that other thread.

Teens on a rough beach not us- palm trees and shade and snorkeling and quiet is.

Do wonder why the special deal about "getting" to use the Mauna Kea beach...aren;t all beaches in Hawaii public anyway?

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea Beach
Mauna Kea Beach
349 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Also, the KVR does look gorgeous, but the meal times were very restricted for our style of travel - breakfast finished at like 9 something....we'remore like "brunch" eaters.

ditto lunch. for us lunch is at like 3 when we're on vacation.

and also, part of the fun for us is eating off site. Had the meal plan not been mandatory, we probably would have tried KVR this time.

Thanks a lot, again!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Honestly, the large beach at Hapuna in front of the hotel which is separated by a rock outcropping from the public beach has never been a problem for us with teens. It has always been a relaxing place for us.

The comment about Mauna Kea beach means that you may use hotel beach chairs, etc. Yes the beaches are open to the public but there are limited public parking spaces at the Mauna Kea.

You can't go wrong with the Mauna Lani either. The Canoe House is our favorite restaurant on the island.

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State...
2,071 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea Beach
Mauna Kea Beach
349 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hapuna Bch Prince w/Constrctn or Mauna Lani or Kona Villg?

Mahalo!

We're all set...just canceled HPB and made a booking at ML.

(Canoe is our favorite, too! Still remember the food all these years later!)

You can't take it with you...so we might as well enjoy!

Aloha!