We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Captain Cook-high levels of VOG for small child??

NC
Level Contributor
218 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Captain Cook-high levels of VOG for small child??

We'll be visiting the island of Hawaii in mid-late May, and we're staying in Captain Cook in coffee country up the mountain at about 1500' elevation. We're concerned about higher than normal VOG levels there, as we're traveling with our almost 5-year old daughter.

I'm sure VOG levels and areas affected can change day-to-day, and we'll continue to check online, but should we consider staying elsewhere on the island? We had hoped to do lots of exploring and driving all over the island, with our home-base being in Captain Cook.

Should we consider cancelling our reservation and staying somewhere else instead of in Captain Cook? Our place has no air conditioning if that makes a difference, but we had hoped to spend most of our time there outside anyway. We were really excited about our accomodations.

Mahalo in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Captain Cook-high levels of VOG for small child??

its a day to day thing Monday was a 5, Tuesday was a 7.... today proably a 6 to 7

Risk Green.

DOnt worry.... but dress for rain at 1500 ft daily...and much cooler and humid conditions

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,601 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Captain Cook-high levels of VOG for small child??

Captain Cook is usually voggy. I have a friend who works in Honaunau (Coffee Shack) and she certainly feels the area is slammed with vog.

However, a short term exposure to vog is not a big deal if your daughter doesn't have asthma. I talked to you on another topic, and sulfur dioxide fumes are elevated much closer to the source. The vog is a mix of sulfur and stuff suspended in water vapor, makes the air hazy, and bothers sensitive individuals, but there's no evidence I know of that it would damage your daughter on a vacation.

It's a known fact that childhood asthma has risen on the Big Island since Kilauea began erupting in 1980 (approx), but these are children who live around vog 24/7 for years.

If you love your accommodations, I would not cancel.

Plus who knows if there will even by high vog levels in mid-May.

To me the downside of Captain Cook is that to the south the road is not wonderful to drive in parts, and going north it is a traffic mess that is one of the worst on the island. You'll have to deal with it every time you head north and it will eat a bunch of your time.

If you intend to visit the north of the island at all, I'd highly recommend splitting your stay and not doing all day trips from Captain Cook.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Honaunau
Honaunau
Island of Hawaii, HI
The Coffee Shack
The Coffee Shack
1,091 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,107 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
3. Re: Staying in Captain Cook-high levels of VOG for small child??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 11:20