We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince or Marriott

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Prince or Marriott

We are going to be on the BI for a week in September. I am having a hard time deciding between the Marriott Waikoloa in a Cabana room or the Hapuna Price Hotel in Prem OV. Can anyone offer insight as to which would be the better choice? We won't spend a lot of time in the room but I want a clean, well maintained room with a comfortable bed! We like to snorkel,and are not traveling with children.

We have been to the BI before so I know where the resorts are, and know we will have to do some driving when we go exploring. I appreciate any feedback.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince or Marriott

What is the price diff?

What is important to you and your family about each hotel?

I personally do NOT like the Prince, but the Marriott is not really fancy, but was just remodeled.

If it were me, I would go with the Marriott, as A-bay has better snorkeling than Hapuna, but Hapuna has a better beach.

There are more amenities and shops around the Marriott, more dining options, etc while the Prince is set off on it's own a bit.

Good luck and happy travels!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince or Marriott

A good question above about price difference.

We always stay at the Hapuna because we like that it is farther away from the shops, etc., less traffic, the beach is great and you can also go to the beach and use facilities at the Mauna Kea.

I would call and ask if lobby repairs will be completed by your stay.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince or Marriott

Aloha, For me it is an easy answer, the Prince regardless of the work on the lobby. The work is moving along, should be done when you get there but do check. I was very upset when the built the Prince, and ruined the beach... BUT when the MK closed for repairs I stayed there and I have to say I liked it. Love being able to go over via the shuttle to the Kauna'oa Beach a.k.a. Mauna Kea Beach and using the towels and the bar... It is my favorite beach..

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince or Marriott

With the resort fee at the Marriott, the Prince ends up being about less expensive (the Prince rate has a $50 day credit).

I was set on the Marriott because of the recent renovations and it being non smoking, but the Prince has a great beach. We stayed at the Royal Waikoloan on our honeymoon so there is some sentimental reason for wanting to stay there as well, But I don't know if it is worth the additional $. I thought about splitting the week but I don't want to spend the time packing/unpacking and moving.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince or Marriott

Moving is hard, especially 1/2 what through when you will have just gotten into the grove and (hopefully) chilled out.. If there is a romantic attachment follow your heart ;o)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince or Marriott

The DEs disagree on this one! :) I am not a fan of either hotels but I would pick the Prince since the rooms at the Prince are much larger than at the Marriott.

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prince or Marriott

Thanks for the opinions...My understanding the cabana room at Marriott is 600sf? If it were just a regular room, I would go with Prince no question. I think my hesitation with the Prince is the reviews that have said the rooms are outdated and I don't want to get stuck in a smoking room due to allergies.

Is the clientele at Marriott more families with children than at the Prince?

Mahalo

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prince or Marriott

typicallytropical - you are not a fan of either...so where would you suggest in the $300 per night range. Good beach and snorkeling within walking distance is important, more subdued atmosphere, decent restaurants nearby, with spacious,preferably recently updated rooms?

I am open to other suggestions :)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prince or Marriott

cruzerd, I would rent a condo instead of staying at a hotel. However, if you prefer a hotel, I would understand, I just spent a week in Penang where I could have gotten a nice condo for the price I paid for a hotel, but I had to stay in a hotel. So if it's a hotel, you are on your own. BTW, the Prince has no smoking rooms.

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prince or Marriott

I have allergies too and understand how you feel about a smoking room. But let me assure you that I have always gotten a non-smoking room at the Hapuna without any problem at all. In fact, I wasn't aware that they offered smoking rooms. Join their Prince Preferred in advance and you can specify all your preferences.

Another point to add for room info is that the Hapuna has nice large bathrooms. Separate w/c, separate shower from bathtub and two sinks.