We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

see lava flows by boat

Us
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
see lava flows by boat

Any recommendations on which tour operator to use on the Big Island to see the lava flows by boat? We are staying in Kailua-Kona last week of Sept. Or any tour operator to avoid?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: see lava flows by boat

One is http://www.lavaocean.com/ not sure if there are any others.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: see lava flows by boat

You might want to put this subject in the search function to get more info. "Lavaocean" is not even respected by the locals here. You might be able to find their video taking floating molten lava and trying to break it up on utube.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: see lava flows by boat

It's not so much a question of which tour operator to use as whether to even consider such a tour. Most tours don't involve approaching superheated water that is capable of boiling you instantly. Land around the ocean entry is newly formed and has been known to collapse into the sea making a rather sizable splash that would overwhelm any boats in the vicinity.

There are one or two tours and some people are not concerned about the risk. I will not recommend one, but you can find them if you search around.

In sum, don't confuse this with an activity that people consider is for everyone like a snorkel tour or a sunset cruise, or even the lava viewing by land, which is controlled by the County so as to keep viewers safe.

The cruise boats go by the lava entry from a safe distance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,847 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: see lava flows by boat

This has been a "hot topic" :-)

Some (including residents of the island) think it is unsafe/death trap (risk of lava shelf collapse drenching boat with hot water and steam, bad fumes, etc.) Some (including a poster named blue collar traveller or similar) think it is a live-life-to-the-fullest activity and I think he/she went and liked it. Look for the threads.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: see lava flows by boat

Here is the thread for the Hot Topic ;o)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k19157…

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: see lava flows by boat

The risk of serious injury and death, and very serious lung heart damage later in life ( if any) are the best you can get on this tour....

Not as exciting or risky as russian roulette... but pretty darn close.

This is even more fun because your guides will know even less than you...as you huff the rich thick clouds of Sulphur Dioxide, Hydrochloric Acid, Sulphuric Acid and tiny particles of volcanic glass into your lungs..... while traveling directly in the heart of the gas plume.... Truly a trip of a lifetime........Take home a lei and a deep and wonderful set of rales...as your pulmonary edema advances to the final frontier.....

Us
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: see lava flows by boat

Thanks to all who gave their opinions about the boat tour to see the lava flow into the ocean. I think I'll watch videos of it!! I'd just as soon not have to be rescued by the National Guard. I already took a bus tour to the Volcanoes National Park, which I found interesting. Had no desire to get off the bus and sniff the vents from which sulfurous fumes were rising.I'm a nurse, so I know all about lung damage from stuff like that. Any opinions as to what not to miss on the Big Island? This will be our 2nd and probably last time we go, as flights are getting too expensive from Orlando to Hawaii. Thanks again, to everyone.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,847 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: see lava flows by boat

If you have not been to North Kohala, Hawi, and Pololu, I suggest you spend a half day doing that. You can combine with a beach stop or two (Hapuna, Waialea, Kua --latter 2 not open on Wed.) and/or the Puako Petroglyphs on your return.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: see lava flows by boat

Terryberry, by the time the National Guard would get there to rescue you, you would be fully cooked! :)

10. Re: see lava flows by boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2009, 13:05