We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time do you leave for Manta Ray night dive?

dallas
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What time do you leave for Manta Ray night dive?

If anyone has done this can you tell me what time you leave? I'm trying to decide if we can do this the first day we arrive in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kaneohe, HI
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What time do you leave for Manta Ray night dive?

We went with Kona Honu Divers at the end of May....I believe we had to check in at the dive shop around 3, left the harbor around 4 for first dive (before sunset) then down for Manta dive right after sun sets. I would guess most operators are similar...somewhere in the 3-4 range. The dive is amazing--you'll love it. We had 7 giants swooping in and out, skimming just over our heads for the full dive. Very cool.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What time do you leave for Manta Ray night dive?

We went with Jack's Diving Locker last December, and had a wonderful time. Left the shop about 3:30, left the boat harbor about 4, had an hour or so in the water for the daylight dive/snorkel, ate some sandwiches and watched the sun set, then did the night dive. (I think we got back to the dive shop about 9 p.m.). We had four mantas show up, and it was incredible. Kellar Laros was one of the guides on our boat, and he is very entertaining, as well as very knowledgeable (he is the founder of the Manta Ray Research Foundation, and knew the names and histories of several of the mantas we saw). With Jack's, we were the first boat to arrive at the Garden Eel Cove, and the last boat to leave (four, in total, showed up). Kellar also filmed the dive, and we are so glad we bought the DVD--pretty "spendy", but what a wonderful momento! We really felt like we got our money's worth---just a word to the wise though (in case you haven't done this type of dive or snorkel before) my husband got seasick even though we took some Bonine before we got on the boat--it didn't prevent him from enjoying the trip, but was a bit unpleasant. Also, we got pretty cold in the water once the sun went down, so having dry clothing on board to change into really made a difference. It was an experience we will never forget! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Mentioned in this post
Jack's Diving Locker
Jack's Diving Locker
1,503 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What time do you leave for Manta Ray night dive?

We went with Jack's Diving Locker last December, and had a wonderful time. Left the shop about 3:30, left the boat harbor about 4, had an hour or so in the water for the daylight dive/snorkel, ate some sandwiches and watched the sun set, then did the night dive. (I think we got back to the dive shop about 9 p.m.). We had four mantas show up, and it was incredible. Kellar Laros was one of the guides on our boat, and he is very entertaining, as well as very knowledgeable (he is the founder of the Manta Ray Research Foundation, and knew the names and histories of several of the mantas we saw). With Jack's, we were the first boat to arrive at the Garden Eel Cove, and the last boat to leave (four, in total, showed up). Kellar also filmed the dive, and we are so glad we bought the DVD--pretty "spendy", but what a wonderful momento! We really felt like we got our money's worth---just a word to the wise though (in case you haven't done this type of dive or snorkel before) my husband got seasick even though we took some Bonine before we got on the boat--it didn't prevent him from enjoying the trip, but was a bit unpleasant. Also, we got pretty cold in the water once the sun went down, so having dry clothing on board to change into really made a difference. It was an experience we will never forget! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Mentioned in this post
Jack's Diving Locker
Jack's Diving Locker
1,503 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI