We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginner snorkeling?

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
beginner snorkeling?

I am a non-swimmer (afraid of the water, actually), but I really want to see the fish! Are there any snorkeling tours that take you in shallow water rather than deep?

oregon
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beginner snorkeling?

I think all the snorkeling tours go in deep water. Why not do it yourself? I'd suggest renting some gear and maybe going somewhere like Kekaha Kai State park. It's not the best snorkeling but there are fish and turtles there and it's easy to get in and protected from waves. Get a floatie that you will feel comfortable with and go for it. Maybe even a life vest. (I'll bet Snorkel Bob's has something - you might check & see if they have a website) Kahalu'u is a great place to snorkel but a little harder to get out in, because of the rocks. Being afraid of water I think you may have some difficulty because it is the ocean. I LOVE snorkeling and I love the water. It's my favorite thing to do in Hawaii.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beginner snorkeling?

There are no tours that take you to shallow water its all pretty deep

Being afraid of the water is far more serious than being a non swimmer. The ocean moves you about and there are currents.....if you panic you can drown in less than 2 feet of water.... and standing up will kill and destroy corals... so you really need to be totaly comfortable to protect yourself and the environment

.. I would NOT snorkel in the ocean until you can calmly snorkel in a pool... where the water is flat..

I would suggest you not rely on vendors to advice you like rental places... Rather come 10 to 1 to Reef Teach at Kahaluluu Bay, M-F and talk to them.

We are all trained naturalists and experienced snorkelers and divers who volunteer out time to help visitors.

There a a few places you can wade out in 3 to 5 ft of water, standing on sand... and see a few fish... I would however not attempt any swimming, or flotation device.... your problem is fear not lack of skill..... dont be pressured by your wants.... keep safe

Kona Bay charters has a good glass bottom boat out of Kona Pier daily. for like $15

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beginner snorkeling?

Thanks so much for the input. I think I will forego the snorkeling attempt. I will probably do the glass-bottom boat. How about the submarine tour? Is that something that is worth the price?

4. Re: beginner snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:19