We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sub Tour worth it?

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sub Tour worth it?

My husband and I are spending 9 days on the Big Island. I'm afraid of the water so can't snorkel. My choices for seeing the sealife are the glass-bottom boat or the submarine tour. The sub tour sounds cool - is it worth the price?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

See if you can find reviews for the glass bottom boat...the sub might be better if you are not claustrophobic. But if you are afraid of the water, would it not bother you to be underwater?

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

Believe it or not the thought of being underwater doesn't scare me, as long as there is air space between me and the water!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

My husband and I both felt a little sick during the submarine ride. It is fun though to see under the water so the sick feeling wasn't a big deal. It was fun to do once but we won't do it again unless we have our kids with us.

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

I agree that the submarine trip is worth it--once or once every few years. There are fantastic fish and other sea life to see. While it is pricy, there are sometimes coupons that can ease the pocketbook pain.

If you are into snorkeling, this would be another way to see fish in their natural environment.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

My concern would be being packed into a sub full of kids!

Just drown me now. ;-)

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

If you decide to go, I recommend you get some ginger tablets to take before going. You can find them at most health food stores. The will help with the sea sickness/nausea.

Have only been on the subs once and it was a great experience! But I was nauseated, did not know about ginger at the time. We will be going this time when the grandkids go for the first time. (mine are 7 & 11)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

I remember the good old days when the Atlantis people were feeding the fish at certain places and the sub tour was exciting with all the fish around. Once the laws were changed and feeding the fish became illegal, the sub tours became dull. I go on these tours when friends/family visit, but it's not really worth it IMHO.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

Since snorkeling is not going to happen for you I would do the sub.. Also consider Blue Sea Cruises: Evening on the Reef Sunset and Glass Bottom Dinner Cruise

http://www.blueseacruisesinc.com/pupu.html

9. Re: Sub Tour worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 20:18