We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale places to stay in Hilo/Volcano/ or surrounding areas

jco
San Diego
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Upscale places to stay in Hilo/Volcano/ or surrounding areas

We are going to stay 2 nights in the Volcano/Hilo area and are looking for an inn or B&B that is a little more upscale. From what I have read, these places are limited in this area. I have looked at a lot of the places on this site and was just wondering if anyone has suggestions/recommendations for these types of places (places like the Palms Cliff House, Waterfalls Inn, Lotus Garden Cottages, etc.). We are not opposed to driving a little bit (30 minutes or so) if it means staying at a nicer place. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala
Islands, Beach & Pool Clubs, Volcanoes, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mauna Kea
Observatories & Planetariums, Mountains, Volcanoes
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale places to stay in Hilo/Volcano/ or surrounding areas

Aloha

I think you will find the room, food and experience, not to mention the location if The Kiluea Lodge to be the best in the Hilo and Volcano. a B&B is a choice if you like that sort of thing but seldom includes access to full service meals and bar.

The paslm, waterfal and lotus...get high marks form B& B fanciers but are not as close to the Volcano as Kiluea and you will spend almost 2 hours driving to and from more distant places. or any place in Hilo.

ALso the Rangers at the park put on evening programs for free like the old campfire programs you may have attended.... and you can zip 1 mile to see them at the visitor center.....FREE

HD

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale places to stay in Hilo/Volcano/ or surrounding areas

We have stayed at the Volcano TeaPot Cottage on two different occasions, and highly recommend it. It is a lovely, clean, private cottage with so many special touches it's hard to list them all: hot tub in the back yard "meditation garden" with it's own little shelter, clawfoot bathtub in the house with rainwater bath/shower, lots of special soaps, teas, coffees, cereals, breads, juices, snacks. The breakfasts are fabulous, and you can easily make several meals from what they provide--one night we were a little tired and decided to just stay "home"--I cooked some of the eggs and sausages they'd provided for our breakfast (but we'd eaten the scones, mangoes, and banana bread instead) and it was more than enough. They have every cool DVD imaginable about the volcano, and lots of newly released movies too, great books, magazines and CDs--it is a heavenly place to relax and have some quality time with friends or family. The antique four poster bed in one of the bedrooms (with handmade quilts) was almost too comfortable to leave! We were fortunate enough to spend Christmas there, and they even had a large, fresh, beautifully decorated Christmas tree in the living room for us. Oh yeah--hand knitted slippers in a basket by the door, umbrellas, flashlights--you name it, the owners have thought of it. It's the most comfortable, home away from home feeling I've ever experienced in a rented lodging. The teapot theme is carried throughout the cottage, but not too "cutesy"--my husband, who definitely is not into "cutesy" at all, walked in the door the first time we were there, stopped in his tracks and said "Wow! You did a great job picking this place!"--which I readily agreed with--it exceeded our expectations both trips (and the second time we actually knew what to expect!--the Christmas tree was such a wonderful surprise though, and smelled so good, it almost made me cry!)

The village of Volcano is up the mountain a bit, so the elevation can create cool and wetter weather at times (remember that Hilo is the wettest city in the U.S., and Volcano can certainly get some rain too!) Both of our visits--one in March, one in December--experienced some pretty spectacular rain spurts, but it was lovely to listen to the rain at night, with the gas fireplace in the living room taking the chill off. You are just a couple of minutes' drive from the entrance to Volcanoes National Park, and also just a couple of minutes from some great places to eat--we had Christmas Eve dinner at the Kiluea Lodge and it is a very pretty place. Lots of big meat dishes on the menu (wild game seemed to be primarily featured during that Christmas visit), but still a lovely experience to visit there. We also loved the Thai place just down the road, and our hosts gave us menus and helpful hints about places to eat in Hilo as well. Both of our trips to the Big Island we have stayed at the TeaPot Cottage when we were exploring the east side of the island--we didn't find the driving back in to Hilo to be troublesome at all--it's only about 30 minutes, on a good road.

We will go back again and again to the TeaPot Cottage--we offered to trade our house in Oregon for the Cottage, even up, but couldn't get the owners to go for it! Darn! Guess we'll just have to content ourselves with a visit every time we get to the Big Island. Have a fun time!

I know some people don't like the idea of a B&B, but this one is so special--you have your own little private house, on your own little private yard, off a very quiet little lane--we were rested and refreshed by having stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oregon
Oregon
United States