We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

California
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

My wife and I are visting the Big Island during the first week of December and were hoping to stay in Waikoloa. We have stayed in Waikoloa many times but but this time we need to watch our budget. Does anyone know of any good deals at any of the resorts? Can I save money by calling the hotel direct? I saw a post on Craigslist that said Waikoloa is a ghost town these days. Are things that slow over there?? Thanks for any tips!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

there may well be deals, they overbuilt the condos so much!

Ghost town, no ...

I was at Queens Marketplace yesterday around sunset and parking was full up on the front side, and it was well patronized inside.

Of course it's low season at the moment.

You should be able to get a deal ...

I always try the hotel website direct first.

A lot of hotels put their best rates right on the website and give you a break for internet booking.

I would call and get an internet quote and see what you get. There are only two resorts so that's not much homework!

Then compare to VRBO and property management and craigslist.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,655 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

A quick google for Abbey and then a search on there for a 1BR indicates Kolea 1 BR for under $1800 for 7 nights starting 12/1 and Halii Kai for $1041 for the same period. Since these are 'Luxury Condos' the less luxury ones probably can be had for less.

Did not look for the hotels but probably are more than $130/night. Or maybe not. Hotel would give you the option of ocean view.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

the hotels are all running well over $200 to 300 a night.... $130 will get you uncle billies in Kona

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

try www.redweek.com or www.myresortnetwork.com and you should be able to find a deal.

fla
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

It's not Waikoloa, but I got Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel for $112 on Priceline just last week, for a stay the first week of December. I've seen other people post that they've gotten the Marriott for around $120 on Priceline as well. Might be worth a shot if you're not Priceline averse.

California
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

Thanks for the Priceline tip, I've never used them before but it's worth a try. Seems like most of the discount hotel internet sites have the same prices. I was wondering if I called a hotel direct would they give me a better rate than on a web site. I would think making $100 or so a night would be better then having an empty room. This is a last minute long weekend trip using free UA mileage plus tickets and was hoping to keep the costs down. We spent 2 weeks in Maui this summer so it's hard to justify spending lots of money on this trip.

7. Re: Any deals in Waikoloa these days??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 23:20