We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the best luau on the big island

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Topic
where is the best luau on the big island

I am going to the big island in April and have been looking into luaus. Does anyone know if Gathering of the Kings at the fairmont is any good?

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

I don't know about Gathering of the Kings. However, the Kona Village Resort lu'aus are considered to be the best on the island.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

hi tigrly! I see you are new to posting here.

there are some questions where it would really help to look around before you post a new topic ...

this question gets asked and answered the same way every day.

If you put luau into the search bar you will get more than 60 pages of topics on the best luau.

If you put "gathering kings fairmont" in you will find discussions specifically on that.

Hope you will take a minute and read the "welcome to the Island of Hawaii forum" sticky at the top of the forum...

Aloha

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
140 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

We went to Gathering of the Kings when we were on the island last year and it was wonderful! We really enjoyed it, and it was on a more intimate scale and the show was fantastic. Pricey, but I recommend it!

8 days and counting!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

its about $140 pp. and is not a traditional Luau..but a assembly of south pacific lore...

It is at the fairmont............

Several times a year TT puts on a "sons of the pacific" event.....which is limoted to only 20 couples.....it is very expensive and exclusive.

Contact TT to see if you qualify.... last year it was $1500 per couple..... and hosted by Kevin Costner.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

Sorry Dan, it was Johnny Depp. :)

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

Are there any deals or discounts to be found for the Kona Village luau, or for another decent quaility luau on the Big Island? $98 per person sounds pretty steep. I'll be there about 2 weeks from now. (For reference, I really enjoyed the Smith's gardens luau on Kauai a few years ago.)

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

Glutton, Call 'em and ask. In this climate, there might be some deals. (1-800-367-5290)

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

Johny Deep... oh darn I missed that one.. gossip has it this year he is negotiating with Kiefer Sutherland.

If Kona Village is giving special prices let us know.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

I would be surprised if you got a special rate from KVR, they are not known to give discounts.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where is the best luau on the big island

Are there other decent-quality luaus on the Big Island that cost less and/or have discounts available? Or even restaurants with Hawaiian food and live music? Since I've been to luaus on other islands, I don't feel the need to pay $98 per person to go to the "best" luau, but it would be nice to eat some of the luau cuisine and see some live Hawaiian entertainment.