We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

fla
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

(A preface: I am NOT asking about anything that requires off-road access. Not only do I have no interest personally, but that topic has been well tread on this forum.)

Like most first or second-time visitors to the island, my beach/shore experience has been pretty much concentrated around the usual stops of Hapuna/Mauna Kea, A-Bay, Kahalu'u and Two Step. I will undoubtedly go back to them on this trip, because they are great.

However, I know that there are several other beaches on the western side of the island, and I am curious which (if any) do folks recommend for someone looking for a nice, relaxing day at the beach (ie sunbathing and splashing around in the water a bit)? I'm looking for someplace with parking, restrooms, minimal hiking and a welcome (or not actively hostile) attitude toward tourists (at least during the week).

Thanks for any suggestions.

KapohoKine Adventures
Gift & Speciality Shops, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Island Duck Adventures
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Boat Tours
My Kona Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Mauka Makai Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

Ignore the last beach.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872-i269-k23468…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

Miomi: Well if you want best beaches then you have to drive north to Waikoloa area such as Hapuna Beach or Waialea Bay.

I have had good swimming days at Honokohau Beach (basically park to right behind boat yard at harbor & look for trail head E Komo Mai welcome sign). Short walk from parking lot & restrooms included. Of course don't leave valuables in car. If so stay towards south end. Shoreline varies from really rocky to really sandy (test the water as you go in). You might get to see turtles (don't touch).

Happy Beach Days, TheodoreJay

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

I think you may enjoy Waialea Bay. Quite a few nice ones:

www.hawaiigaga.com/big-island-beaches.aspx

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

Honokohau and Kaloko, makai of Natural Energy Lab

Kua Bay, if there's parking

Kukio at Hualalai

Mauna Lani

Waialea (probably my favorite)

all of them are in the guidebooks.

Mauna Lani is a 10 minute walk over lava from public parking.

Waialea is almost no walk, same with Kukio and Kua.

I prefer shade, never sunbathe here, so I like Waialea.

Watch out for the wicked thorns dropped in the sand from the kiawe trees. They are so long and sharp they'll pierce a flipflop or shoe bottom through; it's a bit of a hazard there.

Waialea and Kua used to be quite local but are tourist beaches now that they've put in facilities and fixed the roads.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

In truth, there arn't any....you have been to all that are worth a visit and dont require off road or a lot of effort. You have been to them already

There is a common myth, that we residents have and go to secret little beaches and dont want to tell any visitors. Its a load of BS a total fantesy.... we go to all the same ones you do... Any beach worth a darn is popular.... no people....well there is a reason.

I laugh to myself, when I see all these technocrats, searching satelite photos for the jewells... what looks good from the air... may have problems with current, waves, etc.... So, there are no hidden beaches....

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

I agree with KK's list:

Honokohau and Kaloko, makai of Natural Energy Lab

Kua Bay, Manini‘owali is my favorite in the spring/summer, I never have parking issues except weekends and they are closed on Weds.

Kukio at Hualalai

Waialea

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

BTW here's good overall rundown on Big Island Beaches

alternative-hawaii.com/activity/bibeach.htm

Also, take care to watch surf conditions (i.e. big wave could ruin your day if you turn your back).

If you get "stink eye" from anyone just move along to the next beach :)

8. Re: Lesser-known beaches on Kona side (NOT off-road ones)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 01:18