We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Which tour company do you think is better to snorkel the Kealakekua Bay - Dolphin Discoveries, Seaquest or Fairwinds??

Thank you.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

I was always under the impression Kona Boys was good for just about everything water related but after reading recent posts about their rates skyrocketting I would love to hear suggestions on kayaking as well as snorkelling!

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
117 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

We are a family of four that have just returned from the BI. Even though we were afraid that our snorkel trip would be less exciting than our diving adventures (both day dives and the night manta dive), we booked a morning snorkel tour with Dolphin Discoveries. Even though we had always in the past rented kayaks and toured Captain Cook on our own we decided to book the tour to be more environmentally responsible. When we arrived we found out that substitute leaders would replace the usual ones on our trip as they were on a trip to Tonga so we were even more concerned.

NOT TO WORRY!!!!!! We had a wonderful time!!!!! We loved every minute of our trip from zooming along the lava shoreline pausing at lava tube caves and fantastic blow holes, to snorkeling at Captain Cook well before the other tour boats and most kayakers arrived, to snorkeling at the Place of Refuge where we were fortunate to be joined by not one pod of spinner dolphins but several - our older son took photos of 16 dolphin(s) swimming around him - that's all he caught in the photo!!! - to hearing our guide Chuck talk story about the history and culture of the island!! Even our boat mates (there were only 6 guests on our boat)- a resident and her college aged grandson- were terrific - they both praised the usual Dolphin Discoveries leaders and said they had taken their trips many times and always enjojyed them!

All of us agreed that our most amazing single experience of the trip was the manta dive but the most continuously fun from begining to end, intriguing, suprising, memorable experience was our trip with Dolphin Discoveries. If ever we can give a full fledged recommendation this is it!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
746 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Lasemuse: this sounds great! We are booked to do a Dolphin Discoveries tour on September 14. Hopefully we will have as good a time as you did!

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Anyone have a website for them?

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

We're going to definitely book with them for our Feb trip!

Here is their website:

http://www.dolphindiscoveries.com/

Emeryville, CA
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Hi, I'm thinking of going with the Dolphin Discoveries too, and I have one question:

As the tour goes to snorkel at Honaunau - Place of Refuge, is it worth it to go snorkel there by ourselves from the beach also? I read on Revealed that Honaunau is a great snorkeling spot, but not many people talk about that place, it seems....

Thank you for your reviews! That was totally helpful!

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

We snorkelled from the beach besiode the place of refuge and I would sum it up like this: If you are comfortable getting in and out on slippery rocks in waves it is great snorkelling. If you are not a strong swimmer or have no balance then save yourself some trouble and go elsewhere.....

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
117 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling Tour Company - Which one??

Although we had visited the Place of Refuge several times on previous visits, we had never snorkeled in the bay until we took our Dolphin Discoveries trip. There were so many dolphins and turtles and such great coral with attendant sea life that we returned the next day on our own - a pretty long drive from Waikaloa where we were staying.

After again visiting the City of Refuge we were fortunate to find a shaded parking place on the edge of the bay along with many others. (The park attendant had told us that if we did not find a parking place we could move our car to the edge of the City of Refuge parking lot and walk from there - an equivalent block or two.) As the previous writer noted, the ocean entry is over rocks that are slippery below the water line, so be sure to pick your way carefully and wear your diving or reef shoes. Not caring what I look like and having grown up exploring Pacific tidepools, I always resort to sitting down as soon as possible in whatever shallow pool and getting into the water to move about but this would be more difficult if the surf or surge was up. I also have my teenage sons to give me a hand, but there were plenty of people who were also there to snorkel and we all managed fine. On this second visit, we saw no dolphins but many turtles and the beautiful coral community - it was terrific!