We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too agressive for a day trip?

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
444 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too agressive for a day trip?

We will be staying at Kona Village and just relaxing most of the time. However we are renting a car for one day. We have done Volcano and south. we would like to do the following:

Drive to Waipio early and take the donkey tour or shuttle into the valley.

After Waipio drive back towards Waimea and take 250 North to Hawi and back on Route 270 to 19 and back to Kona village. If course stopping along the way.

Is this too agressive for one day??

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

I think you can do it, it will be a busy day but since it is your only travel about day and you are going back to easily the most relaxing place on the island you are sure to survive. BTW consider the Na'alapa Stables

http://www.naalapastables.com/waipio2.html

for your trip into Waipio.

PA
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

That sounds completely doable, unless the tour in Waipio Valley is going to go late into the afternoon. Don't forget to drive up to Pololu Valley once you reach Hawi. If you are in decent shape, plan to hike down the trial to the black sand beach. Beautiful, but no swimming here!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

We did that exact trip a few years ago. Left KVR at 7 am, drove through Waimea to Waipio, and then took the Na'alapa Stables tour into the Valley. The only snag was breakfast, since we left before breakfast. We had arranged for a continental breakfast to be delivered to our hale, but it didn't arrive until moments before we were ready to leave, so we had to wait for it, quickly eat, then race to pick up a boxed lunch then drive to Waipio to take the tour.

After the tour, we drove to Laupahoehoe and had lunch at the park there, then drove back. So it's an easy day trip. I don't remember when we got back, but I think it was around 4 or so.

The only change I'd suggest is seeing whether they could arrange a boxed breakfast and lunch if you want to do this, then eat breakfast in the car. If you try that, be sure the driver finishes eating on the 20 miles up to Kawaiahe. The road to Waimea and beyond is way too curvy to try eating and driving at the same time.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

will be easy......to drive.. but to rent a car for the day???? you may be paying $100 plus and thats if you can get a car..... that is no longer easy many weeks all cars are rented out for weeks at a time....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

I agree that you should shop your car in advance. If through KVR, can you get them to nail down the rate?

It's not too much of a trip. You can always adjust it after Waipi'o.

Check the looks of the Mountain Road (Kohala Mountain) before starting over, as it's not a pleasant road if it's raining. Drive it with caution; it's not a well engineered road, has an uneven surface, little to no safe shoulder, and the turns are not banked well. In spite of which local drivers want to drive it really fast, because it's their main route to services and shopping.

I estimate the drive time without stops from Waipi'o Lookout back to KVR as 3+ hours, so you can figure from there what you have to work with in way of stops.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

Dear Linda: I agree reserve car ahead of time.

IF you are strapped for time/money think about heading thru Waimea then north to Pololu Valley early (limited parking) & walking to the bottom (moderately difficult going back up, bring walking stick if trail is muddy). My favorite part of the island & typically very quiet. Pololu is just as pretty as Waipio but not good for swimming. Then maybe Hawi for lunch, then maybe two historic Hawaiin sites on the way back (along the coast). Gives you plenty of time to hit the beach late afternoon in Waikoloa area as well. Happy Traveling, TheodoreJay

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
444 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

We have a plan at Kona Village where part of our package is a day car rental. We were going to go after breakfast and take a picnic lunch. Figure to get to Waipio for there 11 AM tour which is over at 12:30 then head to Hawi and Pololu (sp) valley lookout. Should I take 270 up and back if 250 is a dangerous road. I freaked on the road to Hana - Is it scarier than that? Also we want a slow leisurely drive. How far of a drive is it from Waipio to Hawi?

PS. Thanks for all of your responses.

Also what is the deal with the car rentals and no cars availalble?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

Linda, there is no road in that area that is as bad as the road to Hana.

bill

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

aloha :)

what about driving to Tex's Drive-In for breakfast? It's close to Waipio Valley and has great malasadas!

I think it's a doable day. Something I'd plan. Start early so you can fit everything in without exhausting yourself :)

jc

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this too agressive for a day trip?

Breakfast is included in nearly every rate plan at Kona Village, so breakfast at Tex's makes no sense. But Tex's might be worth a stop for a snack. (Though I've got to admit, I never get hungry at Kona Village for at least 12-18 hours after I check out!)

The drive down Kohala Mountain Road is very nice IMHO. I think the drive is better driving down from Hawi to Waimea than driving up from Waimea to Hawi.

Somebody said that rental car agencies shipped 40% of their inventory away last fall, so cars are scarce. Make sure you get a reservation for the day you want, because sometimes cars aren't available on request.