We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air fares

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Air fares

Flying in from Baltimore Md, any recommendations on best way to get reasonable flights looks like $800-10000 per person geez crazy money??

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air fares

I'm with you on this one!!! I have been putting off posting as we are not going until November but the airfare from last week (along with car rental) went up instead of down and now we're looking at about $1800 for roundtrip airfare for two!!! That's just crazy, especially since the tourism has dropped off so much--my only hope is that it will drop down before we plan on leaving, otherwise, I don't plan on dropping 2 grand on airfare--that just seems senseless!!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air fares

Yes, My trip is a way off and I have plenty of time to collect info. I'm crazy busy working Mom so this site is a life saver. I know someone will take pity on us. :)

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air fares

You do have plenty of time to keep searching. I live in MD and always find the better priced fares for the Big Island out of Philadelphia. We fly PHL-SFO-KOA. We did the stopover once in LAX but I like the larger plane that flys from SFO better. Last year we paid 765.00 pp.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air fares

Airfarewatchdog.com

www.farecompare.com

www.Yapta.com

Also go to the airlines you are considering and sign up for their e-newsletters. Recently fares have been less the closer to your departure date you get.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air fares

Thanks for the other websites, I will certainly sign up for those along with the www.kayak.com that already sends me a daily email airfare alert. Hopefully kisswells is doing the same. So maybe I am being too greedy in thinking that I could possibly get $650 pp roundtrip--last week it was at $788 pp roundtrip but I wanted it lower, now the lowest is $889. Last year we spent about $1800 total for two of us but that included going to Las Vegas as well as The Big Island. We booked our flights around April and went in November but it never lowered,luckily,so we made out in that pricing.

Thanks Adeline--you've been giving me good advice along the way (rental car).

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air fares

$800 is excellent for most times from the east coast.

The airlines charge the same for flights from SFO and LAX !!! Reality check its 2009...not 1998.

Its 5000 miles... 11 hours in the air....

In the past several years flying Kona to Washington DC in March,$690, July $998, September $850

on United. Flying tues and thursday Fares for the weekend can rise $400-600 for the same flight on Friday and saturday

$800-1000 is pretty much reality....and not crazy, What is crazy were the discounts of the past that put many airlines into bankrutcy or out of business.

Check the Airlines like United for "flexable dates".

Dont be tempted to buy from a third party like priceline.etc... because you dont own the ticket they do...the airline will only talk to them for changes, refunds etc.... Book direct

By the way from experience from Washington DC to Kona, United has the best service , seats and connection. Check out of IAD rather then BWI

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air fares

Maryland: Make sure you are checking different departure airports that you are willing to drive to, different times of the week, maybe added connections, etc. It's definitely $800 plus from Denver so don't feel abused. If you really want cheap stay home, crank up the heat, play some Hawaiin music, relax :)

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air fares

I think you may find something for under $700.. prices are all over the place and if you can be flexible.. I have guests who just got a flight RT from NJ to KOA for $680. each.. for this April- May so it is doable.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air fares

presently flying mid week from Washington DC on united to Kona is $646.

USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Air fares

We have to get away and get our big island fix. Cannot stand the stress anymore and we need the wonder of our favorite place.

So I am also checking airfares from LAX to Kona. We usually fly first class on American. We use frequant flier miles to upgrade. But you know what? It wasn't worth the money the last time we flew American first class! The seats were not any bigger than regular class and the service wasn't any better either. I was quite shocked.

It is only a five hour flight for us and I figure since we are on a budget regular class would do just fine. That will save money with the ff miles!