We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

Looking to take another trip.. Would like to stay near the nice beaches the hotel amenities, pool, beach access (little ones) but hotel rooms have 4 max occupancy and I cannot afford 2 rooms for our family. Considering the condo units at Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea but the more I look into it, the more I am confused (villas, The islands, Point, bungalows, winnebagos, you name it!) Any recommendations? We stayed in Kona last year and I did not care for time wasted driving, and repeatedly trying for parking pass at Mauna Kea beach. Ideas???

We don't golf BTW...

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

There are lots of condo developments at the Mauna Lani. The Point and Terrace are the only ones close to the ocean, it's a long walk/short drive to the ocean from the others. They all are quality developments with the lower end being the SunStone developed condos. There are no condos at the Mauna Kea.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

what are The fairways, the Bluffs, the uplands at Mauna Kea?

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

They are rentals at the Hapuna/Mauna Kea resort.

Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

I'm having trouble finding a better map, but this one may help for condo/hotel locations:

alohahawaiivacations.com/bigislandmaps.html

There are many reviews and opinions on the hotels, condos, and homes in the area. You probably need to decide on your nightly rate, as that will help narrow down your choices. If you decide on a condo in the Mauna Lani area, be sure to see if it comes with a beach parking pass for the beach area at the resort. My understanding is that the private parking gets you much closer to the beach vs. public parking. I believe the closest condo that is not ocean front is Palm Villas. There is a path thru the nature preserve, maybe 10 - 15 minute walk. You can decide if that's close enough. Other condos are closer to beach, but typically pricer. You may want to check vrbo and local vacation rental companies to begin getting a idea of what you want. There are also many options in Waikoloa Beach Resort area; Hali'i Kai in oceanfront, but not beach access. I believe Kolea has beach access, but of course, higher prices. I've read more posts and researched more than I care to admit, but for our family we ended up at Palm Villas. We're going in May so I'll post a trip report in June. Happy Hunting!

5. Re: Hapuna area rental Mauna Lani units, Mauna Kea units, Homes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 01:17