We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

We are thinking of doing this dive in October. How cold is it? I've heard that you don't move around alot--and that usually makes me even colder than usual.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

San Diego
Level Contributor
108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

We just did the manta ray dive last week. Yes, you do get cold. I had a full wetsuit on and still got cold, but only toward the end of the dive. (I'm a thin woman and get cold easily.) It was a GREAT experience. You're not guaranteed to see rays, but we had two very large ones visit us, as well as lots of goatfish and some eels. We talked to some dive masters going out from Kailua's pier before we went and found out that they hadn't seen any during a full moon, so we waited a few days and felt really blessed to see them.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

We went out with Jack's Diving Locker (out of Kona) last December, and it was rather cool during the dive/snorkel (we are snorkelers--hence the name!). We had rash guard suits on, which are very thin, and they did not keep us very warm, but I was too enthralled with the four mantas that we saw to care. My husband did get quite cold, and wished he would have gotten a wetsuit at the Diving Locker (they offered us some) before we went out on the boat. Next time we will wear the wetsuits. Despite the chill, this was definitely worth any minimal discomfort---quite a fabulous experience--we hope you get the chance to see these beautiful creatures!

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty thin, and the wetsuits usually don't fit me too well. I've had to cut a few dives short due to coldness, but I really want to see the manta rays.

If the rays don't show, is the dive still worth doing?

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray night dive---If you did this, how cold were you?

Hi there. I have done the manta dive a few times (I come back to Kona quite often) and can answer some of those questions!

1. Coldness - yes, I too get cold, so it's important to wear either a double wetsuit or a thicker wetsuit - I now have a 5mm and am toasty warm! You also need a long suit (not just a shorty) because the Manta dive is unusual in that you sit on the bottom of the ocean for the whole dive, so you can also bump against rocks

2. Is it worth doing? Absolutely - it is the most amazing experience. My boyfriend described it as "surreal" when he came out of the water. The mantas are so big and graceful - the are just beautiful. Apparently the mantas are there about 90% of the time. It is true that they are less likely to be there during a full moon - the less light from the moon the better. There are 2 manta sites in Kona (i have been to both), and the northern site (near the airport) is far better than the southern one (near the Sheraton). Especially if the mantas don't show - the northern site is a really pretty night dive, but the Sheraton site is dreadful - rocks, sand, no real coral reef! So be careful where they are taking you! Only some of the companies (the bigger ones) go to the northern site as it's further away.

I always dive at 'Bottom Time Diving' in Kona. They are on the web. They offer a great service. Their boat is fantastic too - big 34ft boat, but the groups are still small. They offer double wetsuits as part of their rental package (I get a womens XS and it fits well) and they always go to the northern site. Ask for Captain Jeff - I'm sure he'll help you. Enjoy :)