We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Islands - help please

wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Islands - help please

I just started planning a trip. We'll probably go Jan-Feb/10. Which Island? Any fishing on shore? I prefer beach, not rocks. Do we need a car? We're looking for good relaxation, great food, beach and garden setting, more upscale, but not high end.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Islands - help please

First get and read Hawaii For Dummies, and a good map to decide which island.

Once done, go to the fourm to that island, search hotels , restauraunts, activites that interest you.

Use the search menu for special topics to view the reams of already written things

Decide on a budget and how long to stay

Home work time.... then come back to ask any question your research failed to answer....

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Islands - help please

You're on the Island of Hawai`i forum; you might want to repost to the Hawai`i forum.

For beach, not rocks, the Big Island (island of Hawai`i) is probably out. For more upscale, Kaua`i is probably out, although we have some of the best scenery in the islands. This leaves Maui and O`ahu - probably Honolulu to fulfill your desire for great food. I would go with Wailea on Maui. Rather upscale, but there are affordable properties, some great restaurants, great beaches. Overall very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Islands - help please

You're both very helpful. I just starting reading forums. I admit I have a lot to learn. I want to see the beauty and be respectful. This will be a one time trip for us, so I want to do it right. Thank you.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,170 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Islands - help please

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

You might want to repost your question on the Hawaii forum instead of the Island of Hawaii (Big Island) forum.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,192 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Islands - help please

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k26896…

3,5,6,8,9 pertain to any of the islands. If you choose Maui, consider Maui Prince.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Islands - help please

There is no perfect Island that meets all your criteria.

Yes there is fishing. Oahu has very good bonefishing but some would say the island is overfished. The best fishing may be the big island and the kauai just because of population. I fish the big island all the time.

Beaches - well Kauia and Maui have the best best beaches. I probably give the nod to Maui. Big Island has a few beaches but it is the newest island.

Do you need a car - Yes.

Good relaxation - Any island can offer you this, I prefer BI and Kauai for the pace.

Great Food- Oahu leads the pack, nobody is a close second. Maui is second.

Garden Setting- Kauai a beautiful garden island.

More upscale - Mauai and Oahu

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Islands - help please

Dear Wisconsin: Well first of all Jan/Feb will be fewer beach daylight hours. Some of northern facing beaches will be windy/cold in winter months. My neighbor went to Priceville - north Kauai in December and it rained/rained. Car is a must unless you find the perfect resort and just want to veg. Garden that's Kauai and its laid back. So yes I suggest you want Kauai :)

My first Island was Kauai w/ lots of great beaches, Poipu Beach and Spouting Honr, Polihale Beach and Barking Sand Dunes, Secret Beach. Lots of fun places to explore Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls, Wailua River, Fern Grotto, then rope swing swimming hole upstream, Kalalau Trail, many funky little old Hawaiin towns like Hanalie town or Koloa town. Hopefully that little histroc site and fishing village is still on the Wailua River, great stop for Hawaiin history and culture. Rent a kayak there and paddle up stream. Direct flghts out of LAX or SFO !!!!!

Compare the main islands on this page and I think you'll agree:

www.alternative-hawaii.com/special/index.html

Happy Travel Planning, TheodoreJay

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
127 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,847 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Wailua Falls
Wailua Falls
2,792 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Fern Grotto
Fern Grotto
371 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalalau Trail
Kalalau Trail
1,579 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Islands - help please

After reading your post I thought Maui. Yes you will want a car. Maybe start reading the Maui Forum and asking questions there.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Islands - help please

if you have never been before, you should do Oahu and see Pearl Harbor and Waikiki beach. The punchbowl cemetery is another great sight. Other island I would do Maui if you want a more busy, bustling time, or Kauai if you want more laid back. If you go to Kauai, especially in the winter, stay south. The Hyatt Regency Poipu Bay is a great hotel, several nice restaurants, fabulous spa. Nice golf course if you golf. If you end up going there go in the main bar off the lobby and see if they still have the video shot when Hurricane Iniki visited Kauai. Strange to see the whole lower level under water. Hotel never closed. If you go to Maui, lots seem to prefer Wailea, actually I am more partial to the Lahaina area.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,344 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
10. Re: First time to Islands - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 08:18