We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Level Contributor
1,435 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

We'll be someplace between Naalehu and Volcano around lunch. Any suggestions about good lunch spots? thanks.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

I would suggest an early lunch in Na'alehu or a late lunch in Volcano Village because I know of nothing in between, if there is a place TT will know it.

I like Punalu'u Bakery in the Na'alehu area, even though it is a tad touristy the food is decent. In Volcano Village my family loves Thai Thai.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

There is nothing between Naalehu and Volcano, but you should try Desert Rose in Ocean View, before you reach Naalehu. There is no other place I would eat at in that area.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

There is Nothing from Volcano to Kona.... to be blunt.

There is the Lava Tube in Ocean View.... no comment

and the Desert Rose.....after you finish laughing at the shack, is "interesting".....

Eat in Volcano Volcano House has a lunch buffet for island tour bus parties.....

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Dan, I wouldn't eat at the Volcano House even if you paid the bill! :):):)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Good food and friendly staff at Lava Rock in Volcano Village, behind the general store on Old Volcano Road.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Another option would be Tex's in Pahala, a local eatery with sandwiches and burgers that I've enjoyed several times in the past. Once you turn off the highway, go past the gas station and turn left on Pikake St.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Is Pahala Tex's better than Honoka'a? Because I think Tex's food is barely edible, it is so greasy, plus once it made my husband kind of ill. Not food poisoning ill, just indigestion. But I've only tried the Honoka'a one.

I would rank it with Blane's, or maybe under. But that's the great thing about TA, lots of tastes here.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Pahala Tex was sold two(?) years ago and it's Pahala Cafe now. We stopped by there for a coffee a few months ago, but they didn't have any desserts. Judging by the board it's a "local" place.

BTW, the do not make malasadas either on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

Indeed, I stand corrected, it is the Pahala Cafe now. It's definitely not upscale and the menu is not very big, but some people may like it, and sometimes a greasy burger hits the spot! Cheers.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch Recommendations between Naalehu and Volcano?

well, if it's not Tex's food then it might be fine. I still say Tex's food can be pretty bad. There's good-tasting greasy and not so good. :)