We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to eat in Volcano area?

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
place to eat in Volcano area?

We are staying at the Kilauea Lodge and may have dinner there one night, but other tasty suggestions are glady accepted!

Price is somewhat a concern - we prefer someplace w/good food but not too exorbitant in price ---thanks!!

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

The Thai House (not sure that is the correct name--sorry!) was very good, and very reasonable. My husband and I each had an entree, and took some back to our B&B for the next night, because it was too much food for us. (Since we stayed at the TeaPot Cottage and they gave us WAY too much breakfast as well, I think we ate the next day without buying any extra meals). You might try hitting the Farmers Market in Hilo for some fresh fruit, if you're in town--we just about live on fruit (most of the time) when we're in Hawaii. The Lodge is supposed to have great food, but we tried their one vegetarian offering (eggplant) at Christmas time and it wasn't great. Add undercooked brown rice and a server too busy to get back to our table and our one visit to the dining room didn't meet our hopeful expectations. Oh well, maybe a good reason to try it again next trip???

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

One of the worst places to be in all of Hawaii at lunchtime is the Volcano House; an absolute ZOO. However, If you arrive early enough for dinner,to enjoy the fabulous view, think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

you are in the best spot........ be happy.. and well fed.

HD

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm a vegetarian, so the Thai place might have the most options for me. We'll also have to try the Volcano House and the Lodge. I know vacations are supposed to be about more than just the food, but we LOVE to eat and get really excited about finding good eats :) thanks again

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

And most of these places close by 9, is that correct? Just want to be prepared in case we do any evening hiking.

Oregon, we're staying at the Teapot for two nights in about 2 weeks...did you enjoy it there?

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

Aloha minnowhead--yes, we LOVED the TeaPot Cottage, and hope you will too. We have stayed there twice now, and find the accommodations to be extraordinary (we plan to stay there on every trip to the BI). It really feels like you have your own house, since the cottage is the only building on the property and the owners live elsewhere. We liked how quiet and private it is, and the surroundings are so beautiful. The owners make an extra effort to make sure you're more than cared for--they really think of everything you'll need and the breakfasts are enough for two or three meals! (They also really respect your privacy, however). The rainwater, clawfoot bathtub was heavenly, the gas fireplace comes in handy on chilly evenings, and we loved watching DVDs of the volcano when we wanted some down time. Say hi to Bill and Antionette for us--they're great! Be sure and post back and tell us how your stay went--are you going to do a whole trip report? I love reading those!

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

That's great news Oregon, before booking I had read fantastic reviews so I'm confident we'll love it. Did you see the lava? I'm disappointed as I read all of these posts that say you can't get within a mile of the lava now. I thought people had recently posted otherwise but maybe I'm incorrect. I REALLY wanted to do the evening hike to it.

You can count on a very detailed report when I return mid-October.

Bound4theBI, sorry for invading your post! In terms of restaurants, I was thinking of going to the Kilauea Lodge since everyone raves about it but now I may just go to Thai Thai and have enough for both evenings...great feedback on that!

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: place to eat in Volcano area?

Aloha minnowhead--no, we have not seen flowing lava (yet). Our March '04 trip only allowed a few days on the BI and there wasn't any surface flow at that time. Our Dec. '04 trip allowed us much more time on the BI, but the weather was pretty rainy when we were in Volcano, so we didn't do the long trek. Maybe next time we will try the helicopter ride--it sounds fantastic! Thanks for also clarifying the name of the restaurant as Thai Thai--I should be able to remember that! We also had recommendations from our hosts at the TeaPot Cottage for a cafe in Volcano Village--it's within a mile or so of the cottage--and sounded like a good place for lunch, but we never got the chance to eat there. The Cottage has sample menus from all the local restaurants and some they recommend in Hilo. Also, expect large amounts of scrumptious food at the Cottage--we had scones, cinnamon rolls, banana breads, cereals and granola, toast, eggs, sausage, various fruits, coffees and teas (too many varieties to even believe in the tea department), and so we easily made a dinner out of scrambled eggs and sausage one night. While we didn't have a terrific experience dining at the Kilauea Lodge, it was a very pretty setting. However, when we were there the dining area was packed, and the noise level was reminiscent of the school cafeteria I am privileged to supervise every working day. My husband finally moved over to sit next to me, rather than across the table, so he could talk to me without shouting!

bound4theBI--The Kilauea Lodge may have more vegetarian foods now than they did on the menu last Christmas (it was a special menu, I believe, and was heavily featuring ostrich, buffalo, venison, etc.), which was quite off-putting to me. If it was less crowded and there was a larger choice of non-game meat selections, it would be great to eat at(prices are up there, though). Please be sure and post back your experience with staying there too--we are pretty spoiled with our stays at the TeaPot Cottage and generally prefer the solitude of separate residence B&B's to lodges or resorts, but so many people have so many great things to say about the Lodge, it would be great to hear what you liked about it. Have a wonderful trip!