We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Booked convertible for honeymoon in Maui and BI end of July. Any recent experience with Alamo, price beat others out there. Any real difference in car safety, quality or service?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
902 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Just rented a convertible through Alamo for 10 days on the Big Island. Actually got the deal on Priceline. Got the last Mustang on the lot as it looked like they carry mostly Sebrings. I don't care that much one way or the other but some people seem to have a preference.

The car had about 20K miles on it and ran fine. Make sure to mark all scratches or dents on the form they give when picking up the car (this goes for any rental agency). Service was friendly. Overall no complaints.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Alamo has the largest inventory in Kona. When others cut back they added to the inventory.. smart move.. they put all extra cars into Priceline. When we have guests visit, which is often ;0) we go for the best price and it always ends up being them. Like my good friend vtgambler I go through priceline!

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Just rented from Alamo on Kauai. No problems.

Bill

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Dear Maple: Alamo's just a short shuttle to the nearby lot. I've def. used them starting my 5th time back coming soon. I have had no problems with their cars or service yet. As for price they are reasonalbe but can't say if they are rock bottom cheapest deal. Aloha, TheodoreJay

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

I don't think there is any difference between the car rental companies. I always end up using priceline when I need a car because they always have the lowest price. The cars I get are mostly are from Alamo or Avis or Hertz. Since rent-a-car companies don't use their cars for more than a year their cars are always in good condition.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Just beware with Alamo that because they have the bigest inventory, it means they have the biggest lines. I went last summer and waited nearly 3 hours before my turn came up. When I went for XMAS last year I waited for about an hour. If you have children, the car seats are all laying outside, and they don't tell you to get one until you are at the counter.

Overall I was happy about the service, but unhappy about the wait.

Vat

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

I wonder if the kiosks are any help for the line situation. I was sort of counting on it... Is being a Quick Silver member any benefit as far as the wait?

Sometimes nothing helps. I waited two hours at the Budget counter in Las Vegas recently. Being a member of Fastbreak did not help at all. They said that my reserving through Priceline made me ineligible to use my Fastbreak privileges. It's made me a little afraid to use Priceline again. I was so exhausted when I finally got my car, it almost ruined my first day there!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Alamo is fine. Select the agency with the lowest price. Booking with Costco discount card allows you an additional driver for free.

The wait in line depends on what other flights are landing at the same time...so every hour of every day of the week will vary. You can not say, one will be quicker. Would agree that Alamo often has best prices (Not always) so line-ups have the potential to be longer.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Yep just checked in at Alamo with full plane load of passengers and line moved pretty fast. If you all se a Hawwain Blue PT Cruiser in Kona, honk it might be me :) They have the self serv kiosks but no one seemed to know how to work them.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An recent experience with Alamo rental car??

Your convertible probably will be safer now, the police caught two teenagers who were responsible for cutting open the tops of convertibles and taking stuff from the rental cars. (I still wouldn't rent a convertible, but that's just me.)