We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
906 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

After spending four great days on Maui we were off to the Big Island for ten days. This was our 3rd trip to the BI and it is a special place for us as we got married there a few years ago. The first 7 nights were at the Hilton Waikoloa, hence forth referred to as “The Zoo”.

Here’s my two cents on our experience. Most days we just had cereal/fruit or the like in the room for breakfast and picked up sandwiches to have at the beach for lunch. The Island gourmet in the Queen’s shop made excellent sandwiches for about $7. So unless mentioned otherwise, that’s what we did.

Day 1: Flew on Hawaiian from Maui with no problem. Headed to Alamo to pick up our convertible (booked on Priceline for $18/day). Turns out the big Hawaiian dude working the desk used to live about 2 miles from me in Vermont. Small world. Got the last Mustang on the lot!

Check in at The Zoo. I wrote a long review which has now been posted so I won’t rehash all of it here but basically this place was not for us. Too big, too busy, no beach and the incidentals were expensive relative to the quality. After finally checking in and changing rooms we decided to grab a quick lunch at one of the restaurants there. I believe it was called the Boat Landing or something like that. Horrid. My wife’s bread was stale (I mean hard as a rock) and my chicken salad seemed to be missing the chicken. Waiter disappeared so finally we just paid the bartender and left. Spent the afternoon checking out the resort and then over to the Kings/Queens shops. Ended up a Macaroni Grill for dinner. Typical chain but it was quite tasty and pretty cheap.

Day 2: Headed to Mauna Kea beach. The best on the island in my opinion. Arrived at about 9:45 and got a parking spot no problem and no attitude from the security people. Soft white sand and nice clear water. Also found some decent snorkeling at the north end of the beach. By mid afternoon we were fried so headed back to the hotel to use the gym and take a break before dinner. Ended up at Ruth Chris (Mauna Lani Shops) for dinner. Nothing Hawaiian about it of course but food was great. Even with a free appetizer (coupon) and free dessert (anniversary) the check came to $170 plus tip.

Day 3: Decided we couldn’t spend 14 straight days at the beach so headed down to Kealekekua Bay and Place of Refuge. This was the first we really noticed how bad the VOG was. It was very heavy the whole time we were on the Island. You never would have even known the Island had mountains and at times you could not even see the coastline from HWY 19. It didn’t bother us any as it just seems a bit hazy at the beach but it hadn’t been present at all on our previous visits. Ate at the Angel Café (right on the main road south of Kona) on the way back to the hotel. This was a great little spot. Wife had an omelet and I had plate lunch. Both were excellent and we saw some huge, yummy looking salads go by while we were there.

As we neared the hotel it was about 2:00. Our first thought was to grab our stuff and head for the beach but since the walk to the room is about 8 miles from the parking lot we decided to just hit the pools. For dinner we went to Tres Hombres in Kawanehae (sp). The Margaritas were excellent, the food was good and the service was almost overly friendly – almost like they were aware of some bad reviews. So overall it was good but the place just feels like it needs a good powerwashing.

Day 4: Mauna Kea beach again. This was Saturday and we arrived at 9:15 and got spot number 39 so I would recommend getting there early if you go on the weekend. That evening we headed into Kona to wander around and eat. Hit Don’s for happy hour drinks the back to Kona Brew Pub for dinner. My wife is a Pizza freak and love’s this place. Food and service were good.

Day 5: We were booked for Sunday brunch at the Mauna Kea hotel so I decided I better hit the gym in the morning. The brunch was awesome! It had the usual breakfast items as well as a litany of lunch/dinner type foods: Roast beef, mahi-mahi, sushi, dim sum, tempura, ceasar salad station, on and on… If a brunch can be worth $50 then this was it. The only annoyance was that we weren’t aware that soft drinks & juices weren’t included in the buffet price and they were constantly asking if we wanted refills. This added significantly to the check.

Spent the afternoon hanging by the pool at The Zoo. Now to get towels you have to sign over the deed to your house which you don’t get back if they aren’t returned by the designated time. You also have to wear a bracelet. The last time I had to wear a bracelet at a pool was in Cancun and I think it entitled me to unlimited drinks for like $20. Not the case here. Anyway no big deal but just seemed funny. Dinner was at Kirin, the Chinese restaurant at the Hotel. It was very good.

Day 6: Spent the morning at Beach 69 and the afternoon at A-Bay. B69 was a cool beach. Very different from Mauna Kea and Hapuna in that it’s not wide open but still has good soft sand. The trees and rocks make it easy to find a somewhat private spot which was nice. Seemed to be populated mostly with locals. A-Bay was okay but the sand is a lot more course and the water was quite murky.

Today was the wife’s birthday and she picked Brown’s for dinner. Headed to the Fairmont early for a few cocktails and then had a great dinner. We were both struck by how quiet the place was. We probably saw only about 12 parties seated for dinner the entire time and the hotel was nearly pitch black when the sun went down. The waiter said occupancy was at only 22%. This was pretty representative of what we saw everywhere. Wife wasn’t happy with desert menu so we stopped at Roy’s on the way back to The Zoo for the Molten Chocolate Cake which was delicious.

Day 7: Drove up to Waimea for breakfast at the Hawaiian Style Café. I had been waiting 2 years to have the Loco Moco here and it did not disappoint. You can’t beat breakfast here for taste and value. Not so great for the waist line or blood pressure. Waddled out to the car and drove the mountain road over to the Pololu Valley. A spectacular spot! We hiked down the black sand beach to chill out and soak in the sites. Definitely worth the trip for anyone considering it. Dinner was at Donatoni’s back at the Zoo. Apparently this used to be a full service Italian restaurant but they have now reopened in a tapas format. It turned about to be quite good and pretty reasonably priced for the Hilton.

Now off to the Hapuna Prince for our last three days of vacation…

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Great review...very enjoyable read.

Since you are still on the Island and you mention that your wife is a Pizza fiend...you have to take her down to Kealakekua to Patz Pies. I know you are staying futher North...but this is still her Birthday week afterall.. We discovered this spot in February and honestly it is some of the best Pizza we have ever had. A thin crust with delicious sauce and fresh toppings. It is right on Mamalohoa Hwy. Next visit we are going straight there from the airport!

We have yet to try Hawaiian Style cafe, nor read a negative review. Good to hear you enjoyed the Loco Moco.

Surprised to hear that Donatoni's re-invented itself...or maybe not. It was closing on Feb14th when we were staying in Waikoloa. Your descriptions of your HWV accomodation make me smile as we feel the same way..great place to meander about but wouldn't want to stay there. Don't worry about the your waistline from the Loco Moco...Just forget your sunglasses up in the room once you are already in the Parking lot!!!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

VTG you always make me smile.. Calling the Hilton the Zoo almost caused me to choke laughing.. I think it is a fine place for families with teens or tweens but that about does it. Actually I do not get the whole Waikoloa thing, however I do understand it has it fans and that there are those who do not get the whole Kailua-Kona thing.. everywhere has a place for everyone.

Day 7 waddling out to the car.. lol... or my favorite the gym prior to the buffet.. all so true..BTW the coffee is free with the buffet ;o)

Like you I love the MK beach, it is my favorite, followed by Kua Bay.. did you get to check out Kua?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Thanks for the suggestion Wanderlust but unfortunately we're already back here in the frozen tundra. I guess my final sentence is pretty unclear.

We keep a running list of things to see and places to try so I'll definitely put Patz on the list for a future visit as I hope there will be many!

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

AA-

No we didn't try Kua bay and I had really wanted to. I guess it just go lost in the shuffle. We have a habit of planning lots of things and then not doing much!

I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into with the Hilton but it was free on points so I try not complain too much. But I do agree on Waikoloa. It's "fine" but I'd prefer to stay elsewhere.

If I remember correctly, your son was visiting around the same time. Hope you had a great time!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

It was my brother VTG and you helped me get him a cheap car on priceline.. big mahalo there.. it was great to have him visit, however our Mom became ill and I choose to jump on a plane to see her so he could finish out his trip.. so I had to forgo a lunch at KVR ;o( and getting to meet everyone ;o(((

The good news is she is now fine.. note to self, if you stop taking meds your doctor prescribes and you become ill let them know that you went off your meds.. or maybe discuss going off them with your doctor first ;o)

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Oh and when you return, which we know you will, and do Don's do let me know, I can just stroll on over and toast New England with you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Great report, thanks! I guess you really fueled up for Pololu!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

Great report, I am looking forward to the Hapuna part.

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

AA- I'll look forward to a drink on our next trip ... but I'd much rather toast Hawaii!!

10. Re: BI Trip Report Part 1 - "The Zoo"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 05:29