We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

We are now spending 5 nights on the Big Island. It's our third time there. We are two adults and 2 older girls, 16 and 20.

We are spending 3 nights at the Waikoloa Hilton. Would like suggestions on must sees in the area. Especially anything new or that I might not have known about on previous trips.

Would like to see the volcano again, if we can see some lava flow. Hasn't worked out on previous trips!

Also, some meal suggestions, would like to try local cuisine. Some inexpensive places would be nice. We are planning on eating at Roy's one night.

Also, any good snorkeling trips?

Looking for a surfing school for beginners, our daughters would like to try.

We are spending two nights in Kona Village, so we will have time to veg/lay on beach, etc. there.

Is the Hilton walking distance to the shopping center that is across from the Marriott Waikoloa?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

TfT sound like a great trip. For a hike I suggest Kiholo Bay. Another suggestion is go walk the Muana Lani property and swim at the little beach. The property is wonderful. Of course there is 2step but that is farther south.

I can also recommend beach 69 and the snorkeling off the little island there, especially in the morning. Very nice beach there. Water is at times a little cloudy.

I love the national park by the small boat harbor. The hike along the coast is great and seldom used.

As far as KVR, I could suggest many things but I will refrain. I do suggest morning snorkeling off the black sand beach. Or if you have dive booties, swim from the beach shack to the little black sand beach. For exercise after lunch walk past the 4seasons to Kukio Beach. If KVR is presenting the garden tour, take it. It's very interesting. Kayak about 11:00 am, just before the wind starts. Oh, the Key lime pie at lunch is pretty good.

Finally, drinks at the shipwreck bar at 4:00. Say hi to Rusty and Sid.

If you haven't already done so, look at Mumpsimus' new KVR booklet. It's great.

Enjoy.

Bill

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

Are you open to driving into Kailua-Kona while at the Hilton? I can suggest some great snorkeling and eating in town ;o)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

Have you visited since the Queen's Marketplace went in? It is more popular than Kings now, I would say. I would drive to that one. You can walk from the Hilton, but it depends on how much time you want to spend walking.

Have you been to the Hilton? It's a fair walk just to get to the self-parking. There is a shuttle bus. The walk is nothing special. I'd rather walk on the beach and get more out of my time.

You didn't say when you are coming. The volcano changes all the time, so check on that when you're close to arrival. There's an ongoing topic on Lava Viewing, just put that in the search bar if it's not on the front page.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Ditto on Beach 69 Wailea Bay Marine Preserve

hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/…waialea_bay_beach.html

Typical on spring/summer early mornings water will be real calm/clear. Just rent some snorkeling gear and enjoy and get out of the water before you get burnt.

You're probably not gonna see lava up close unless conditons change. If you are only on the Island 5 nights I wouldn't drive all that way....just chill and enjoy the beaches.

Search town you will be close to and lots of reviews on there for places to eat (just posted a bunch from my May trip). Also all sorts of good choices in Kona just walk up down the main strip and read the menus.

If its hot def. stop at Hawaiin Ice place and split a couple of the small size (big enough for two).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

>>>Typical on spring/summer early mornings water will be real calm/clear.

TJ, you were there in May during a calm period, but Waialea stays pretty rough in the first half of spring. Just so you know; you came right when it had shifted. Went there on a late April morning and it was pounding surf, not the least chance of snorkeling!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

There is only one place to learn Surfing...Kahaluu bay... about an hours drive south of the Hilton...

Nothing at all on the Kohala coast setion...all south of Kona.

There is no "local cusine" in the Kohala area, the closest will be for Breakfast ..Hawaiian style Cafe in Waimea... about a 25-30 min drive. Up in Hawi are some little local places as well. There is a cheap place Macaroni Grill bbut its a mainland chain.

Merrimans market cafe in the kings serves bistro food

Up in Waimea is Merrimans main restauraunt serving Hawaiian regional cusine... figure $50 pp

Local cusine items are: Loco Moco, Spam, Kailua Pork'Potato Mac Salad, Lomi Lomi, Poke... heavy on the fat and starch like plate lunch

What do you consider inexpensive? Earily bird dinners in the resort start at $39 pp In Kona $19. A burger at the resorts will be $15 to 22... In Kona $8-12

The resorts all feature fusion french.asian and typical resort fare

All the best snorkeling will be south of Kona and via a boat tour.... search Snorkeling fot reams of info

In Kona, 45 min south you will find Big Island Grill, K&L BBq, Kona Plate lunch.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary

Sounds Great!!!!

All your plans are right on the Mark...

Seems like the perfect combo.. Kauai, Disney and then KVR

Are you renting a car???

Big Island Hawaii is the Best!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary

For local cuisine consider a day trip to Hilo. There is a fantastic really long thread about Hilo dining options.

Good Luck and happy travels!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you so much!

How far is the town of Kona from Hilton? How do I get info. on Surfing School, anyone used any?

Also, info. on Snorkeling trips?

We will have a car!

Is self-parking at the Hilton Expensive?

The two nights at KVR we are just staying put!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Itinerary

>>>How far is the town of Kona from Hilton?

It's not the miles; it's the town. 30-45 minutes.

>>>How do I get info. on Surfing School, anyone used any?

Put surf lessons into the surf bar and look for Hawaii lifeguards at Kahalu'u

Also, info. on Snorkeling trips?

Go to Things to Do on left menu and read Snorkeling Travel Article, then put snorkeling in the search bar. Lots of existing topics comparing the various tours.

>>>Is self-parking at the Hilton Expensive?

15 bucks

I'm going to encourage you to do some reading. There are good topics on restaurants in the Waikoloa forum ... just look or use the search bar. No need to retype it all when the question is already asked and answered many times. :)