We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

OK all your Mai Tai fans... get ready for the 1st Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22 at the ROYAL KONA RESORT :0)

www.hawaiihotels.com/Main/Index.cfm…

Including: "Farmer’s Market, food from the Big Island’s finest restaurants, music and crafts, and seminar from world renowned BEACHBUM BERRY on the History of the Mai Tai. Additionally, bartenders from all over the globe will compete for title of Best Mai Tai and the $10,000 cash prize! The award winning HAPA will perform that evening."

TT this part is for you!!! "Enter your favorite Mai Tai recipe, using Bacardi Rum, and compete to win top honors and the GIANT Cash Prize" (Can I have a finders fee :))

24 Finalists will be chosen for the final ‘Mix Off’ competition.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

AA, I have known about this for about a month. It's a little screwed-up, and the competition is open to bartenders only. You have to submit your Mai Tai recipe and the best 24 will be invited to participate. I didn't know there were 24 bartenders on this island! :):):)

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

Gosh I can not find out a thing before you :)

Hmmm so how do they know a person is a bartender is there a license for that?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

I don't drink MaiTai's (no offense to the master, just too much booze for me) -- but I'd love to see HAPA and it all sounds very fun.

Perhaps it means employed bartenders?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

Bartenders have to go through a class and are issued a "Blue Card" by the Liquor Commission.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

I think it's pretty much a lock that the 1941 Mai Tai is going to win,......or maybe the 1841 recipe.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

I'll take the job as official taste tester--LOL!!!

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

On the link that AA gave there is what appears to be a small copy of a poster. It looks very cool. I would love to get a copy of it. Any ideas on where we could find it?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

This sounds fun. I wonder if Sid knows? Probably.

I saw Hapa last April and they put on a wonderful show. I definitely recommend anyone visiting on August 22 to catch their show.

Bill

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

More details:

1st Annual Battle of the BBQ - RKR Luau grounds - $15 adults, $7 keiki 12 and under. From 10am-2pm, 8 restaurants will battle for People's Choice

awards. There will be food tasting booths and live entertainment. All ages.

Beachbum Berry (famed Mai Tai Expert) will present "The Mai Tai Paternity Test: Who is the true founder of the Mai Tai - Don the Beachcomber or Trader Vic?"

1pm-2pm Seminar and tasting. $30/person, 21 years and up. Limited Seating.

1st Annual Don the Beachcomber Battle for the World's Best Mai Tai - Doors open at 5:30pm for pupus and no-host cocktails. Front row seats

for the Mai Tai Mix-Off and 10K cash prize presentation PLUS entry to the HAPA concert = $65, for those 21 years and up.

HAPA Concert tickets will also be sold separately for $30/all ages.

10. Re: First Annual Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai Festival August 22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 July 2009, 13:20