We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

nyc
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

Hey everyone! My husband are coming to big island sept 9 - sept 15. I have a bunch of things I want to do but not sure how to fit it in as far as where to stay or how to arrange it driving wise.( We will have a rental car.) Heres the things I want to do..

*the manta ray night dive in kaulua kona

*see akaka falls

*waipo valley

*see the volcano

*mauna kea

*snorkeling at kealakekua bay

*charter a fishing boat on kona coast

Will we have to move hotels each night or can we drive back to the same hotel for some of this? What do you think of the itinerary? Thanks!!! Lisa

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

spend two nights on the East side (Hilo or volcano village) and four on the West. Where to stay on the west side is a question of how much you want to spend. With the amount of time you can easy accomplish you list and much more.

The best way would be to drive to Volcano but I guess coming from NY that is a problem. So fly into KOA, 4 days either in kohala resorts or Kona resorts, do the charter boat, the snorkel at kealakekua bay, mauna kea, probably two step and honounou, on the way to Volcano Village then drive to waipio, the HTBGarden maybe akaka falls, go to hotel and next day hit the volcano. Does leave a nasty last drive to the airport this way.

Have fun.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

So you are here for 6 nights..

Base yourself in Kailua Kona and do:

*the manta ray night dive in kaulua kona

*waipo valley

*mauna kea

*snorkeling at kealakekua bay

*charter a fishing boat on kona coast

Either move to Volcano Village for one night and do

*see the volcano

*see akaka falls

Or get up real early and do a day trip to

*see the volcano

*see akaka falls

With only 6 nights, it it were me I would do the day trip, packing and unpacking..moving.. takes up too much time for such a short visit to the Big Island.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

First get more aquainted w/ the Big Island cause its really big (220 mile loop on main belt road)

www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxb.htm

I agree w/ Adeline....figure out where the best beaches will be for you and hang out close to there.

Waikoloa area would be best if you are more interested in beaches.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,090 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

I think you CAN but I think you are missing some good things there that may not sound as good as the "big" adventures but are really beautiful and pleasurable, like taking some time to just be in the water, walk the beach, wave watch, sunset watch. You are going to be on a timetable the whole time and so you will sacrifice a feeling of ease and spontaneity.

Waipi'o Valley is a half day or full day, depending on what you want to do, but seeing the Lookout can be done on the way to the other side. Allow an hour for that side trip. Allow 2 hours to do the side trip to Akaka Falls although it could be less, but it will be at least 40 minutes extra drive from the main highway. Also the town of Honomu is worth a visit. Akaka Falls in September may not be too exciting, and keep in mind it's very touristy and subject to big tour bus overload. When the buses aren't there it's a peaceful gorgeous stroll.

Mauna Kea summit, you should take a tour, and they leave from Kona side, as does snorkel tour and fishing boat charter. You will get back late and probably feel tired, and I would say give your body a break the next morning.

The Manta dive is not deep but you are not supposed to do Mauna Kea after diving, as you can get the bends, and this may apply to the Manta Dive, ask the dive operator.

I think you should do a day trip for the volcano, but only if you mean the VNP. If you want to do Kalapana, you should spend the night. Suggest that you double book and get a cheap room near Pahoa instead of moving. If you don't know what I mean by Kalapana, put

Lava Viewing

in the search window and read Lava Viewing 2009 topic and learn all about the CURRENT eruption, get the links, etc..

What do I honestly think of the itinerary? I think it would be a lot better spread over 10 days or preferable two weeks, and that you might consider cutting something out if you can't extend.

nyc
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

Thanks for the advice everybody! I like the idea of staying put and doing day trips...its less hectic!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

I just returned from spending 5 nights on the Big Island on the Kona side. I absolutely would stay in Hilo to do the Volcano National Park and towns/stops around Hilo. We never made it there. We have been before and always did a whole day trip to the Volcano from Kona with stops along the way. But, this year, we just couldn't justify the 6 hr round trip driving to the Volcano and then 20 min walk to the lava flow for a short stay at VNP.

But, to be fair, we have been to VNP before and were most interested in seeing the Volcano/lava flow.

We also wanted to do the Meauna Kao Nut Factory/Gift Shop, but that was 2hrs15min each way. Definitely would have flown in to Hilo spent a night, did the Volcano the next morning, stop whereever we wanted on the way to Kona and then spent the next 4 nights in Kona and fly out of that airport.

But, that's just my hindsight and two cents!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

Wbpiii,

"Does leave a nasty drive to the airport that way"? LMAO! You crack me up! The only thing 'nasty' about the drive is that it's to the airport (implying that you're leaving the island). But it IS Hawaii after all, so how bad could a long drive really be, eh? ;)

8. Re: how should I arrange these activities? itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:17