We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

I've looked and looked and I'm still a little confused. We will be heading to the Big Island in April 2010. Think I've narrowed it down to the Kohala Coast with a day trip to VNP (doable). I've found a couple of cute places in Puako, but I'm unclear whether this is a good place to stay with kids. Two places have ocean access and a little bit of 'white sand'. We do not like the big resort areas and if I'm going to Hawaii, I want to see and hear the ocean from where I'm staying. (I can drive to the beach here)

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

How big an issue is money and how big a beach fan are you?

2. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 17:35
Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

I've budgeted $400/night. It is a splurge vacation for us and want to stay in a nice place. My kids do better if we can 'park it' somewhere and have a base. So I think sticking to the upper part of the VNP would be a good bet for us (didn't know that so thanks). I' have two very 'particular' eaters, so a kitchen is a must for us.

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

oops forgot...like the beach. I know the BI is not the best choice for beaches, but we really wanted to see the volcano and have been to Maui and Kuaui.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

We've enjoyed oceanfront units at Keauhou Surf & Racquet. It's not fancy and not new (little is), but quite nice and you are practically IN the ocean. (Stay only *oceanfront*; other units are too warm.) You'll have to drive to a beach, but that's not unsuual on B.I. There's a little mall with a chain grocery just up the hill.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

I love Puako and think it is an excellent choice. However I caution you to use a management company to rent your house, there are some ohana's there that are owner rented that are not as nice as you would want and I would hate for you to be stuck in something that does not live up to the photos. It is a perfect location for Hapuna Beach visits. I am with you, if you are visiting an island being Oceanfront is a wonderful treat.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,955 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

Have you looked at the Palm Villas at Mauna Lani? Great condos, ideal for a family with kids, walkable to beach, small and intimate, but still have the advantages of the hotels nearby.

kohalarentals.com/properties/mauna_lani/palm/

wizardpub.com/bigisland/brpalmvillasmaunalan…

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=68-1376+Pauoa+Rd.+hawaii+HI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=68-1376+Pauoa+Rd,+HI+96743&gl=us&ei=BHK9SsCQOZLkswPF1bRS&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,955 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

Ok, the last link didn't work.

Google maps "68-1376 Pauoa Rd., Hawaii, 96738".

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

$400 a night? If you can get a deal the Hilton Waikoloa is the most awesome place for kids... the lagoon alone will keep them entertained for hours...

Canada
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best are to stay with 3 kids (11, 7, 5)

Given your request for a "splurge" Vacation and with 3 children...have you considered "Kolea". It is an upscale property in the Waikoloa beach resort(South Kohala) It is Beachfront, luxury condo/villas....2 and 3 bedroom units. it would certainly be in your price range....and there are deals to be had.

A base is a terrific idea , instead of bopping all over the island.

Another property in the area , which is also quite upscale is Hali'i Kai....no beach....however it is oceanfront...and the units are the newest on the Island...around 1500 sq ft. Deals to be had as well.