We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

40 days til im back in beautiful Hawaii for my honeymoon (is it sad im a bit more excited for Hawaii then the ceremony with my crazy extended family?! haha!)

I have received alot of constructive criticism in the past due to the fact that I have packed our schedules full in a time we should be relaxing and enjoying being married haha. Its just so hard to not take my future husband to all the places ive seen and loved (i went once back in summer of 06)

Thanks everyone for reviewing this in the past, if you could give it one last critique I would appreciate it! Anything you feel is a waste of time or things i have managed to miss that I should see? Mahalo!

December 6th, 2009 (Day 1)- Sunday - Arrive To Hawaii

- Flight arrives @ 8:10 pm

- Pick Up Rental @ Budget (210.00 for 10 days)

- Drive to hotel via Queen K (north)

December 7th, 2009 (Day 2)- Monday- Nice Dinner/Beach Day

- Hapuna Beach

- Dinner @ Kamuela Provision Company @ Sunset

December 8th, 2009 (Day 3)- Tuesday- Snorkel/ Kona Brewing Company

- Fairwind II snorkel Tour @ 9:00 am

- Kona Brewing Company Tour

- Lunch @ Kona Brewing Company

December 9th, 2009 (Day 4)- Wednesday- Hilo Day

- “Feel the Heat” w/ waterfalls- Helicopter Tour w/ Tropical Helicopters

- Hilo Farmers Market

December 10th, 2009 (Day 5)- Thursday- Waipio Valley /Hawi

- Tour Waipio Valley w/ Naalapa Stables

- Head to Hawi for lunch @ bamboo and Polulu Lookout

December 11th, 2009 (Day 6)- Friday Saddle Road/Lava

- Take Saddle Road

- Walk to Lava @ sunset

- Stay at Volcano Village Lodge

- Possible Kileaua Lodge Restaurant

December 12th, 2009 (Day 7)- Saturday- Volcano National park and Southpoint

- Volcano National Park in Morning

- Visist Southpoint (windmills/southern point)

- Hawaii Belt Road Back

December 13th, 2009 (Day 8)- Sunday -Luau

- Kahalu'u Beach Park for Snorkeling

- Luau @ Marriot Resort and Spa 5:00pm

December 14th, 2009 (Day 9)- Monday - Beaches!

- Puako and/or Kiholo Bay

December 15th, 2009 (Day 10)- Tuesday Leave

- Leave Big Island @ 4:40pm

- Arrive Home 1:10pm Wednesday

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

Lauren:

Just rememger Big Island is 220 miles loop on main road and allot of your plans infer allot of driving. So look at the map again and see if you can consolidate your side trips more. Remember there are no highways (mostly two lane winding roads and rain storms are frequent on east side).

For example, it makes sense to combine Hilo and Volcano areas together. vs. driving back/forth on two different days.

Make sure hubby is up to that amount of sight seeing vs. chilling at the beach: Here's a handy drive guide:

www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxb.htm

Side trips like South Point could get you bogged down for allot of time without much enjoyment.

Aloha, TheodoreJay

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

I get that comment alot and I absolutely will take it into consideration. I must say though, I absolutely enjoying the experience of driving around when on vacation so thats part of the fun (of course, i GUESS ill have to take the future husbands opinions into consideration too :-P )

I love just rolling down the windows, putting on some Hawaiian music, and taking in the new and exciting sights. For example, on our last trip South Point and Saddle road were one of the highlights unlike many people. You just dont see many places like that in good ol' Orlando so the long drive down to the end was absolutely worth it to us.

We are based in Hilton Waikoloa Village the entire time (besides the one night in volcano) because we were lucky enough to get it on Hilton Points (thanks dad!) and unfortunately simply can't afford to bounce hotel to hotel so that makes it a little difficult driving wise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

December 9th, 2009 (Day 4)- Wednesday- Hilo Day

- “Feel the Heat” w/ waterfalls- Helicopter Tour w/ Tropical Helicopters

- Hilo Farmers Market

December 10th, 2009 (Day 5)- Thursday- Waipio Valley /Hawi

- Tour Waipio Valley w/ Naalapa Stables

***OK. If you like driving, fine. I guess you are taking the helicopter from Hilo? (If not, then definitely do Farmers market and Waipio on same day!) Even if heli is from Hilo, I wonder if you cannot do all these east side things the same (longish) day, saving a day to lounge on more beaches or go see Hawi/Pololu.

I am not that much of a crafts shopper, so I have not gone to any of the Farmers Markets. But there are markets in Kona too. 'Nuff said. Your trip!

- Head to Hawi for lunch @ bamboo and Polulu Lookout

***Hawi is not really "near" Waipio by road. Allow over an hour for that drive!!!Might be tight to get there for lunch. Again, see above wrt doing heli and Waipio on same day and looking at a Kona market on the Fair Winds day.

December 11th, 2009 (Day 6)- Friday Saddle Road/Lava

- Take Saddle Road

- Walk to Lava @ sunset

- Stay at Volcano Village Lodge

- Possible Kileaua Lodge Restaurant

***OK I am not going to get into the rental car contract thing. You presumably have researched and made your own financial risk calculations/mitigation arrangements. But it is December and you may be driving in the afternoon? If so, beware of fog on the road. Residents drive it a lot, they know every turn by now. You don't. An alternative would be to do Waipio this day on the way over.

December 14th, 2009 (Day 9)- Monday - Beaches!

- Puako and/or Kiholo Bay

***Puako--do you mean Waialea (69)? That is very pretty. Otherwise Puako is rocky shoreline. Kiholo is pretty--I assume you mean the southern end where the road goes,? Again I assume you have made your own decision to drive. Otherwise the south end is a long walk (we do it!) from the highway. Might also consider Kua, lovely white sand.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

Lauren,

Reading through this itinerary..you had me all on board Dec 6,7, 8th.. perfect...except perhaps for the KBC tour...they run twice daily at 10:30 and 3:00 p.m. But perhaps you plan to hang around for the afternoon session.

However Dec 9,10, 11, 12 th.... the all East coast extravaganza really doesn't strike all the right chords..... Now let me say that, we are all into the Kohala Coast day trip plan..with perhaps 1 O/N in Volcano area to do the VNP...but day after day of East touring...with return to HWV isn't enjoyable. I also fully understand the love of car travel(You have to if you love the Big Island!). But perhaps , mix it up a bit...with a beach day in between.(Honeymoon after all..)

We just happen to be big fans of the Hilo farmers market....actually one of the absolute best in the whole state. We focus on the fresh produce there.Good plan to check it out Wednesday

Agree with others about separating the Dec 10th day.. Waipio usually works nicely with HIlo.

Love Hawi, Bamboo not so much... Great gift shop in Hawi"As Hawi turns"

How you end up structuring the trip will of course come down to the both of you.... and your preferences/choices.

Not sure if you had breakfast included at HWV, but if not or if you are looking for a change...be sure to check out the King's grille at the Waikoloa King's golf clubhouse..just up Waikoloa Beach drive from you. Good breakfast for around $10 ( A break from the $25-$30 buffet prices at the resorts)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

Thanks for your suggestions I appreciate it. I will try to take your advice and wittle down the days I send driving to the east coast- its just so hard!!

Of course, when we get there and are sitting by the pool at the Hilton with a tropical drink in hand... half of these plans will probably go out the window anyways :-P

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

I like the idea that you are going to be laid back and if you decide to drop something you will. Some thoughts:

1) Make sure that Budget allows you on Saddle Road

2) Hilo Farmers Market is best done in the morning.

3) South point and VNP the same day is going to be too much (IMHO) I might drop Ka Lae (south point) and not rush through VNP.

I actually do not see the driving being too much, yes you will be putting on the miles but you have some rest days up front and at the end to balance things out.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

What is a good rate for a car rental for 10 days?

8. Re: Finalized (I Think!) Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2010, 06:18