We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

I am a Mom who is taking her 8 year old son to the Big Island for 7-8 days at the beginning of December. Do you think I should rent a place where we can make meals. Or should we stay at the Marriott which will have more action, the pool and Lua? I want to be closest to the beach area also.

Thank you

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Well, it depends on your budget and your desires. If you follow this forum you'll know what I'm going to say: take a look at my website, www.davidskvr.net and see if it's a fit for what you want. It's pricey, but it includes almost all the beach toys like snorkel gear and boogie boards, etc. and the food is all included, and it's great. They have kids' programs every day and a kid's dinner every evening if the parents want some alone time. It's a marvelously secure environment where you don't have to worry about your 8 year old, and it's a very warm and welcoming place. Take a look and see what you think.

David

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Hun...boys eat! Snack, snack, snack, Alot! Go for the condo if you can get it and get your rental car now. What a wonderful trip!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Easy choice for me. Condo.

We have been 7 times now and always have a condo. Mostly just my wife and I but 3 times our kids have joined us for part of time.

You may be a bit late now but you may be able to rent a week for good price. try vrbo.com

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

"Lua" means toilet, so you might want to change that action place to "Luau!" :):):)

California
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Your son would enjoy the Hilton much more plus the price is almost the same.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

TT, I meant to make the same comment until it occurred to me that if you have an 8 year old son, maybe proximity to a Lua is more important than if there's a Luau!?

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

My vote is for HOTEL!

I think a condo might be too "quiet" and "lonely" if your son is looking to make friends with the kids in the pool, etc.

Hotels will have childrens' programs as well...you will rest easy when your son is busy having fun...but if he is bored...you will not enjoy your vacation!

Also, you might save some money with a condo..cooking, etc...but then who wants to be on vacation cooking meals..unless you were traveling with larger famly...I think you and son can share meals, and most hotels will have mini fridge for juice, snacks, etc.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

I guess the question back to you is what are you looking for from this vacation?

If you are looking to chill and watch him make friends and hang by the pool. Maybe do spa days while he has fun at a children's program than the Hilton would be my suggestion. If you guys are going to go on adventures and tour the island then I would go with the condo.

When my children were younger we enjoyed a condo more. Snacking and food did not become an issue, they could have all the PP&J the could eat. Eating out gets old with a child (IMHO). When they went to bed I had another room to stay up and read or watch the ocean. Just because you have a kitchen you do not have to make every meal.. you need a vacation as well.. I found cereal and fruit in the morning, and making a few sandwiches to take for a picnic lunch was just easier for all of us.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

I would suggest the condo based on a number of trips to the big island with kids. There are always a few little details you tend to forget with kids:

1) laundry

2) snacks

3) more space

You can still eat out but at least you have the choice.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can someone help me make a decision? your thoughts

Are you set on Big Island? Why? You know, if you want to see the volcano, you will want to 'move house', staying in Hilo or right in the town of Volcano for a night or two. If that's the case, the answer to your post is simple: a hotel for four or five nights. (Not worth stocking up for a condo for a few days' stay.)

If beaches are important, I'd pick Poipu on Kauai or almost anywhere along the west side of Maui -- and a condo. Eight is getting a little old to share a room with his mom, IMO.

There may not be many other children vacationing in Hawaii in early December. Most mainland schools are not on year-round schedules, so their holidays will not be until Christmas/New Years.