We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel sets at Costco

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel sets at Costco

Does Costco in Kona carry snorkel sets? For kids, or adults?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

Kepster - I don't know about Kona but Maui Costco carries sets - last year they were for adults but no small kids sizes. However, just wanted to let you know when we did our snorkel shopping for our kids (10 and 12 yrs), there was a great selection of good (and no so good) quality ones at Walmart so that's where we ended up instead of Costco.

have fun!

lwbc

New York
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

I saw sets at Walmart, Target and Sports Authority while on the Big Island. We did not stop into Costco though.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

I worry about an ill fitting mask when you buy an inexpensive one, I would buy my mask at a place like Jacks Dive and do a cheap set of flippers at K-Mart. OR you could rent inexpensively at BossFrogs.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

Thanks for your replies -

one more question...

Does Walmart carry the US Divers brand?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

yes, they do - at least on Maui they do. The sets we purchased were not inexpensive - and we were able to test the mask for comfort and fit. The set was only mask and snorkel - no fins - but if you want, you can purchase those separately.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

REGARDLESS of cost, a mask that does not fit is a bummer at best, a nightmare at worst (screaming, sobbing kid who refuses to ever go back in the water and try snorkeling because if a mask full of water).

I do not ever recommend buying a mask that can't be tried on and fitted. Fitted by someone who knows how to do it, or self-fitted. There are online directions somewhere and I know people have posted them on TA a long time ago.

That said, lots of people say they have had good experiences with boxed sets. Either they lucked out in terms of face geometry, or they have a high tolerance for draining the water from their masks regularly.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

FYI - You test you massk for fit by pressing the mask to your face. it should seal and stay in place without the strap in position. the purpose of the strap is to keep the mask in position in the water - NOT to keep the seal.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

You should never count on anything being in stock here, it will all depend on when the containers were delivered. Right before the containers get here the shelves could be empty of what you want. I agree.. nothing worse than a leaking mask..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

Here's a great blogger and also good advice about mask fit--

…blogspot.com/2007/08/blog-post.html

10. Re: Snorkel sets at Costco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 06:18