We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store and Luggage Question

ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery Store and Luggage Question

Where are the best Grocery stores on the way from the Airport to Volcano? Is it safe to leave the luggage in the rental car while doing grocery shopping?

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

I am guessing Hilo is the airport you are talking about?

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

If you mean Hilo, then there are two super-markets a couple of miles from the airport terminal, and on your way to Volcano: Safeway and KTA:

Leaving the airport, make a left onto Highway 11/Kanoelehua Avenue. Drive just over a mile, and at the fourth traffic light (not counting the one where you make the left turn) you will be at Puainako Street. If you make a right turn and then an immediate left into the parking lot, you will be at KTA. If you make a left turn and then the second left into the parking lot you will be at Safeway. KTA is visible from Hwy 11, Safeway is not.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

That's what I call an expert advice! You should be a DE!

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

Thank you, but I realized I forgot to address the security concerns! Probably not much of an issue at either place, but if there are more than one in your party, simply let one person stay by the car if you're concerned.

And a bit more info: Safeway more of a mainland-type store. Great fresh sushi and you can get sandwiches done 'to order' (cold, or hot panini style). KTA is more 'local style'. Bakery is great with LOTS of stuff.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

Safeway gocery in Kona is next to Walmart if from Kona airport on your left about 5 miles south. If from Hilo aiport Safeway will be again on your left close to again Walmart.

Always take your valuables like cell, netbook, camera with you while you are in the Grocery store (only takes a minyute to smash and grab).

New York
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

As others have said leave your luggage in the trunk and take all your other valuables with you. We had no issues when we were on the Big Island but I can't tell you how many cars we saw with phones, Ipods, laptop bags and purses just sitting in the backseat or passenger front seat.

Just use common sense and you should not have a problem.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

"Safeway gocery in Kona is next to Walmart if from Kona airport on your left about 5 miles south."

The Kona Safeway is not on the way from the airport to Hilo unless you decide to take the much longer South route and it's not five miles from the airport either.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

cantwaitNy let us know which airport you are flying into.. if you are coming from the mainland it will be the Kona Airport and we will update you on your options!

Let us know what time you are getting into town :)

TheodorJay, Kona Safeway is above Walmart and I certainly would not want the OP to have groceries wilt and melt when they drive 2 1/2 hours to the Volcano, going the longer way. If they are coming into Kona side we may want to suggest other markets along the way..

ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

Arriving Kona airport on Friday at 2 pm(sorry I forgot to tell you earlier). Would take all valuables with us into store, but would leave luggage with clothing inside car (hopefully rental will have a trunk).

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Store and Luggage Question

No matter how you look at it, it's a long drive from Kona Airport to Volcano, and I'm sure the shortest route is Highway 11 (southern route). However, driving Highway 19 (northern route) through Waimea and then Hilo is not that much longer. Maybe 5 miles longer, give or take a few miles. If you take Hwy 19 you'll be able to stop in Hilo for groceries, and then you only have about half an hour to Volcano. If you take Hwy 19 you have super-markets in Kona, and then a VERY long drive. There are a few small grocery stores between Kona and Volcano (and there are of course a couple of stores in Volcano), but you obviously have much more of a choice (and probably lower prices) in a super-market.