We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island??

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island??

Hubby is blind and we are thinking of going to Hawii for our 40th anniversary. If we want somewhere where he can walk along beaches and good footpaths which island should we go? We usually go to Asia and found Krabi the best for him moving around. Will do a bit of sight seeing but not a lot. Also if anyone has been to both Hawii and Thailand how much more expensive is Hawii to buy meals drinks etc? Thanks for any help Beryl

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island??

You really need to post this on the overall Hawai`i forum. This forum is specific to the Island of Hawai`i (Big Island).

Hawaii
Level Contributor
518 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island??

For nice walking foot paths with beach access I would investigate the following:

Wailea Resort - Maui

Kaanapali Resort - Maui

Mauana Lani Resort - Big Island

Waikiki - Oahu

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island??

Yes, and I would not pick the Big Island. So much sharp lava and coral. I would go to a geologically older island where there is more sand. Not been to Thailand but people who live here go to Thailand for a cheap vacation so I'm thinking Hawai'i is a lot more expensive. It all depends on where you buy the meal and the drink though. At a nice resort, cocktail would be 12 bucks and up apiece, and a sandwich or burger would be $18 USD. For lunch. That is the high end. Plate lunches are cheap.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island??

There are a lot of "footpaths" on Oahu.

Ala Moana Beach Park has close to 1 1/2 miles.

Waikiki Beach is about 2 miles all of which would be walkable.

Kapiolani Park is about 1 mile around it.

There are many other beaches that are easy to walk.

On the North Shore there is a 4-mile biking/walking trail.

Many other beaches have long stretches that are walkable with some assistance.

The main sidewalks in Waikiki would be hard for someone who is blind as there are many tourists afternoon & evening & the sidewalks are like cobblestone. But early mornings there would be less tourists out & about & with assistance it should be OK.

There are many bars/clubs with happy hours in Waikiki where drinks are $2-$4.

Waikiki has over 200 restaurants so price is not so important. There are restaurants that are really inexpensive, restaurants that are mid-range & restaurants that are expensive. So there are restaurants for all budgets.

Oahu also has decent public transportation. So you don't need to rent a car.

Oahu also has many museums including Pearl Harbor museums. Some have headphones with exhibit info.

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island??

Thank you all for your quick responses. I now know where to start researching. I knew it would be more expensive than Thailand but as we have been there 4 times and it is for a special occasion the kids will just have to miss out on some inheritance.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island??

Yes the new path on Waikiki would be awesome, shops, food and leads to a few great places to. Get an hotel on the beach and have quick easy access to the new board walk.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island??

I'd also investigate Kona Village Resort. Flat paths, beach access, no traffic to consider, food included. Take a look at my website, www.davidskvr.net, and see if it's a fit for you.

David

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,663 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island??

I love the Big Island, but in this case I suggest Oahu and/or Maui for the reasons mentioned above.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island??

Oahu would be an excellent choice! Go to the forum there and see if you can find a nice condo, that would save a lot on eating out.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island??

Maui is the most developed for visitor services and beaches.

Big Island is the very last place.... rugged and the least developed and no beach walks that are ADA