We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel

Nj
Level Contributor
106 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel

In early December are conditions still good for snorkeling?

I have been reading alot here about Fairwinds and Dolphin Discoveries, any preferences?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel

Snorkel is good all the time

As to boats

Fairwinds is a party boat with 110 people and a bar it gets to the bay around 10 am and stays 1.5 hours then returns.

Dolphin is a naturalists tour for 8 to 12 gets to the bay 9 am and leaves after an hour to another site even better for another 1 hour snorkel, then does dolphin and whale watching

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel

We did a lot of snorkeling last December (a bit later in the month--near Christmas)and it was great. We prefer to kayak rather than go on group tours--there are lots of great places to rent from and especially at Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook monument)it is quite a fun adventure to kayak across the bay yourself. The snorkeling in that area is amazing--Kauai had some great spots too, but nothing to compare to Captain Cook. (The recent surveys of the area suggest that individual kayaking is not damaging the marine environment--we adhere to the guidelines from the kayak company so as to respect that beautiful and pristine area, and hope everyone else does too). Enjoy your trip and be sure to take lots of underwater film/cameras!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel

Ditto to Oregon Snorkelers unless you are not comfortable in or around the water. Also, the water temperature is colder than you think so you might think about wearing a shorty which can be purchased at any dive shop or rented. I personally don't like to rent wetsuits of any kind (nearly everyone pees in them) and I ALWAYS take my own snorkel gear.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel

Ditto to bips on taking your own gear--you can purchase or rent the snorkel gear when on the Island--I took a dry snorkel tube with--my husband trusted the santization technique at the rental shop--it works either way. Costco here in Oregon had US Diver sets with dry snorkel tubes, short, wide flippers--I love mine! We bought rash guard suits at sungrubbies.com before our December trip (they are SPF 50, long sleeved, long legged)and initially thought they would just be to prevent sunburn, but they also had the added benefit of keeping us a bit warmer. With a shorty, you still run the risk of burning the backside of your calves and arms--so use sunscreen! (Also sunscreen the backs of your ears--they really hurt when burned). The shorty is probably much warmer than the rash guard clothing--we didn't get cold with our gear except when on the night manta ray dive/snorkel trip though. (It was worth being chilled, but next time I will wear more gear).

The clarity at Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook Monument)is amazing, and we found snorkeling in December to be incredible there. We prefer individual kayaking (rented from Adventures in Paradise in Captain Cook), so can't comment on Fairwinds or Dolphin Discoveries--but there is info. on several posts from folks who have been out with them. Have lots of fun!