We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

My husband and myself will be coming to Hawaii for 2 weeks starting April 18th. staying 11 days on Kona side 3 days on Hilo side.

We loved snorkeling in Maui in April but couldn't stay in the water as long as we wanted because we got COLD. Fingertips and hands started going numb. I would like to be able to snorkel for hours.

I feel we would have better choices for wetsuit purchase in Hawaii than here in Portland Oregon.

I'm thinking of getting a 5mil full wetsuit.

I'd love one of those super stretch kind, like the Henderson Hyperstretch. But they are awfully expensive.

Can anyone give me some wetsuit advice.

Thanks in advance, Ruth

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

bump

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

I know there are very good dive shops in Portand. I really think you will be better off buying there...ain't gonna be any cheaper on BI! And you can be fitted

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

you donty need a full suit. I use a 1/8" tank top type nylon 2, gas blown neoprene... N0 arms and big open collar no zipper. . It does the job of preserving your main body core heat.

It dosent take much to do the job and this no arms gives you good performance. It has the bulk of a polo shirt.

And you can stuff things under it too like a camera. Not to mention it gives you a little extra flotation, making everything easier... and a edge of confidence withhout using a noodle or a bulky snorkel vest. Helps you to relax. .... its like Dumbo and his magic feather....

I got mine at Big Island Divers. but have seen them at Jacks too. We have a Sports Authority here too now... I think the rash gard suits are a bit over kill

I use a Pinnacles top... so you might want to check As for size go for one size larger than you would use in a wet suit.... no tight fit is needed. Think of this as a windbraker rather than a parka.... I think they run about $50-70 @ I bought mine years ago for $49

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

5mm?!?! I don't even use a 5mm in San Diego in the winter. 3/4mm at the most and that is when the water is in the 50s which is no where near hawaii water temp.

Frankly you will have better choices in Portland if you want a full suit. You also may look into just a jacket since typically your extremities start getting cold first because the body's core is trying to retain heat for the heart and lungs. A wetsuit jacket should rectify this.

If you aren't convinced look into a longsleeve shortie...but you won't need more than that.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

Hi HawaiianDan

Thanks for your reponse.

When we were in Maui we rented snorkle , mask, fins and neoprene vest from Snorkel Bobs. I was cold in that neoprene vest after 1 hour in the water.

Is your Pinnicle different?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

I love Jacks Dive Locker for most purchases, you can get an idea of what they have and even give them a pre-call for sizes and inventory and the many items they do not have on their web site

jacksdivinglocker.com/store/Main%20Floor.html

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

My protection looks like a regular atheletic tee shirt Nylon 2 , 1/8 thick

no zip, a pull over with no arms. Just pull over my head. Never been cold

You maybe very low in body fat or have a high rate metoblism.... But I go scuba diving in mine down to 80 ft for several dives a day.... never been cold. Sure it wasent the spandex rash gard crap ????

A dd a t shirt if you want more warm Less is better

Look at pinnacles web site for them.

Maui water is several degrees colder than Kona

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

Thank you I'll look for a Pinnacle vest

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

Ruth, try leisurepro.com for a wetsuit. We buy all our gear there and have not found anyone who can beat their prices. And they have a perfect fit policy and you can return the suit and get a different size if it's wrong. They have beat every shop we've been to. And Hawaii shops will probably be more than Portland. You have both taxes and higher shipping costs so most likely the same suit in the islands will be higher than in Portland.

We always wear shorty wetsuits even at the peak of Summer. I had a 2/3mm suit in June of 08 and still got cold before I was ready to get out at 2 step. I now have a 5mm hooded core warmer/shorty I got at leisurepro and will be using it in April on Maui. I would also take a look at dive gloves to help with the hands.

Here's a link to their shorties.

leisurepro.com/Cat/…982.html

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to purchase a wetsuit in Kona area? Advice NEEDED!

I second leisurepro.com. Got mine last spring - Henderson 3mm Front Zipper ($69). Returned the first (too small). No problem. No sales tax. Prompt and courteous service. Snorkeling is a dream now. If you are overweight, a little stiffy, or go alone, the front zipper is the way to go.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/HNDS3M.html