We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Ok, I've posted before but I've got a better idea now of what we are wanting to do...

Tentative schedule:

Flying from ATL to Honolulu on Sunday. We are planning on staying @ Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach from Sun- Thurs of that week. While here, all I really know is we want to go to a luau, drive up to North Shore, lay on the beach, Pearl Harbor, Diamondhead, I really want to do a sunset catamaran but am having a hard time findind specifics... any suggestions?

Then on Thursday or Friday we are planning on flying to the Big Island. Disclaimer: I really wanted to split time between Oahu and Maui, (after reading all of the honeymoon posts on Maui) but fiance is dead set on seeing the volcanos- LOL- and so that's where we're going.

As far as the big island goes, I don't really know where we're staying- fiance suggested Hilton. I don't really care, want to try to stay under $200/night and has to be on the water, of course! I know we're going to do a helicopter tour and we really want to go for a night and stay at a "volcano lodge" but not sure where to go...

Visit some of the different beaches,Also, fiance wants to go on a fishing trip, so any suggestions would be great! That's all we really have planned so far. (We'll be on big island for 5-6 days before going back to Honolulu to fly home to Atlanta- round trip tickets were a few hundred $$ cheaper. Any further suggestions for us? Food, nightlife, etc? Thanks so much and sorry this is so long! :)

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,245 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,030 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

The problem is, the volcano isn't near the water. Staying at the Hilton is as far away as you can get from the Volcano.

Fishing trip is most likely going to be out of Kona, which is an hour from the Hilton. (You can rent your own boat out of Puako, or at least I know people who have done it, but that wasn't a manned fishing charter.)

Either Kilauea Lodge or Volcano Village Lodge would be excellent honeymoon choices. See the reviews here. The question is, do you want to split a stay that's already very short for the Big Island?

Sorry to say this, but you really need to read up, in a book, to get a good grasp of the island. I'm not getting the sense that you understand the layout of it. You also need to read up on what you can see vis a vis the volcano. Make sure your fiancees idea is in line with reality. You're not going to see rivers of fire and fountaining lava. You might not see any active lava. The VNP is amazing for its geology, but is that what she is so set on seeing?

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,130 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
731 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

he he he... we don't think we're going to see flowing lava, although i've read on a lot of the forums that you can see some if you were to do a helicopter tour.

and like i said, we have done mostly the oahu part of the planning- my fiance said hilton bc that's where we always stay when we travel- but good to know it's not near the action. sounds like we might try and steer closer to kona.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

I would fly from HNL to ITO (Hilo) and stay in Volcano Village for one or two nights, maybe Kilauea Lodge. I would drive to the Kona side and stay when you are don there and check out the Hapuna Prince. It is beachfront resort and if you shop around you might get it for just under $200 per night. Fly from KOA to HNL when you leave, this will save you time. Hilton in August will have lots of kids..

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
731 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,130 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,075 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keahole Airport
Keahole Airport
Island of Hawaii, HI
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Kay so if you are there for volcanoes, stay near Hilo. We did an open door heli tour a few weeks ago with Paradise, and flew over the lava. It was absolutely exhilirating! You could actually feel the heat from it. And yes you could see it, though it is easier to see it at night. Highly recommend.

Also you must go to Volcanoes National Park. Lots to see there. The lava fields are amazing, and you can walk through a lava tube. There are all kinds of hikes you can do there too. Oh and the steam vents too!! Awesome.

Personally I would do west Maui and Big Island over Oahu, but that's just me. Oahu is too big city for me. Can you split your time between Kona and Hilo?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

On the Oahu forum, on the left side of the page, click on Travel Guide. Websites, Driving Tours, Maps, North Shore & more.

Lots of Big Island websites:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29217-s2/Island-Of-H…

Order free brochures for Oahu & Island of Hawaii:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
North Shore
North Shore
1,030 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Kona is not a good base for the volcano either. You should stay two nights in Volcano, minimum. Then stay Kona for fishing, but Kohala for beaches. The Hilton has no beach on the ocean.

If you want to study up on name your own price on Priceline, you can get a resort room for cheap, but it will be the lowest tier room, so if you come at a busy time you aren't likely to get a super upgrade.

If you put fishing charter into the search box for the forum, you'll get lots of previous topics talking about charters.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,163 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Hilton Waikoloa would be good for 4 nights and good beach time then a two night stay at Volcano Kilauea Lodge is your best choice. If so pack sweaters and rain gear. Just leave plenty of time to loop back around to Kona airport cause the main belt road is 220 miles around.

Check out this site for possible activities and drive guide:

www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxb.htm

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,130 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Troy, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

I can't say from experience, but we are planning a trip to the Big Island and are staying in Volcano. Check out hawaiivolcanovacations.com

5-6 days with seeing the park, heli tour and fishing sounds ambitious, but again, I have not been there.

Either way, hope you have a great honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

Ok... so after reading all the experts' comments...

We are thinking of flying from HNL to Hilo.. getting a car and driving to VNP and staying there for a night. Then driving to Waikoloa and staying at one of the resorts(not sure which yet) for 5 or 6 nights. We plan on going to the Kona Village Luau one night while we're there- so I'm assuming we'll need a car for that. Any suggestions, comments?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
10. Re: Need help for aug honeymoon itinerary- oahu and big island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:18