We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to arrange short trip to big island

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
how to arrange short trip to big island

I want to see 2 things on the big island.

1. night snorkel with manta rays

2. red/active lava flow especially at night though I'd like to see it during the day as well.

I'm going there this Saturday. I need to be extremely time efficient cause I need to head over to Maui afterward as well and only have 7 days total. I cannot stand helicopters or very small planes. I want to stay at a clean, yet cost efficient place (like 3 star quality).

1. How should I arrange my schedule? This includes which airport I should land at, any suggestions on hotels/condos to stay at, should I do the manta ray snorkel or lava flow first (I don't even know where the lava is flowing)?

2. If I booked a night flight to Maui from the Big Island, would I be able to see the lava from the airplane?

3. Am I missing out on any must see things on the Big Island?

Thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

Hope you are kidding! If not, do a little research! Your requests are really off the chart, and I have no sensible answer for you! Good luck!

2. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 05:18
Edited: 09 March 2010, 05:18
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

Here's the thread for lava viewing...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k33444…

It looks like it's doable if you spend a night in Hilo. (You could also stay in Volcano, but from the Kalapana side, it's actually further.)

Most snorkel trips leave on the Kona side...which is a 3 hour drive from Hilo. I guess it's technically possible to fly into Hilo, check out the volcano, then drive to Kona the next day to do the night tour. You probably will want to stay in two different hotels because the two sides are 3 hours apart.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

You need to make plans for a future trip to Big Island.

You'll not likely see any lava from a regular scheduled plane. It may be possible if you fly into Hilo at night, but doubtful. Hilo is 30-40 miles from any lava flow. The planes would come into Hilo from the north around the mountains. Any lava flow is south of Hilo

You for sure won't flying into Kona. The live lava is on the other side of the 14,000 foot mountains.

I think all of the manta ray tours are out of Kona.

It is 2-3 hour drive from Kona to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. There may or may not be live lava flowing in an accessible viewing area in or close to the park.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

After reading your guys posts, I've decided just to go to Maui for this trip and save the big island for later. Bummer, I now think I would have prefered the Big Island over Maui but already booked the flight.

Wish I had 2 weeks instead. Thanks.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

The advantage you have is being from the west coast. Flights are fairly reasonable & it only takes a 5 hour flight.

Plus now that you've chosen just Maui, you'll have a much better time there without trying to cram everything in there.

Lots of Maui websites you can browse:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-s2/Maui:Hawaii…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

Late to the topic, but want to reinforce that you wouldn't see the red lava from air outside a special tour. I'm with you; I don't like helicopters or small planes and have no desire to fly over the lava even though I live here.

The flight into Hilo (I just took one a couple weeks ago), typically descends into clouds on the approach and we couldn't even see Hilo, much less the volcano. You fly in along Mauna Kea, and that blocks any view until you get down to near landing altitude.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

Good move, now on your way home you can plan your return visit to the Big Island, see if you can sneak in 10 nights with us when you return.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

Another visitor saved! Hurray for the Forum!!!

10. Re: how to arrange short trip to big island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 06:17