We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

In Feb 2011 we will go to the Big Island for our 30th anniversary during President's Week. We will be staying at the Fairmont Orchid for 4 nights at a good (AAA) oceanview rate (the Mauna Lani is already full that week, and now so is the Fairmont). Then we will stay 2 nights at the Bay House B&B in Hilo to tour the east side and the volcano area.. For our last 2 nights, back on the west side before flying home, we are considering the Hapuna Beach and the Marriott Waikoloa (both have great rates), and the Mauna Kea (nicer but more expensive). Any advice would be most appreciated!

North Ridgeville...
Level Contributor
536 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott last September. It was very quiet, relaxing and we would go back in a moment! We had a poolview/oceanview room. Awesome beds, room had a mini refrigerator in our room

Numerous pools and jacuzzi's... beautiful beach. We had breakfast each morning at the hotel and also had dinner one night

I can't speak for the other 2 hotels, as I have not stayed there. But we definately hope to go back some day!

I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the hotels.. have a great time on your vacation!

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

I'll be on the Big Island starting on April 23rd. Like you, I'm staying for 5 nights at the Orchid and had 2 nights I had to find somewhere else to stay. They only had the Gold level rooms left by the time I decided that we werent' going to stay in Hilo those last two nights and the Gold level rooms were too expensive. We ended up booking at the Marriott for those other two nights, although if I could have afforded the Mauna Kea, I would have chosen there.

I would have chosen the Mauna Kea because its on the MOST spectacular beach on the Big Island and was also recently renovated, but the price was too high. I also love the little beach bar/grille right on the beach!

Hapuna and Marriott were priced similarly, but the new beds at the Marriott made the deal for me. I'm a bed snob (mostly due to back surgery a few years ago) and I've read that Hapuna is in need of a renovation.

Although Abay is not as beautiful as Hapuna Beach, its a nice beach and the renovated rooms and convenience to the Kings Shops and Queens Shops made the decision for me.

If there is anything specific you want to know about the Marriott, PM me and I'll check it out for you while I'm there.

I can't wait to go.. only 40 more days to go!!!!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

The Mauna Kea is one of my most favorite places. The beach is the best beach on the island, the grounds are beautiful, the staff is wonderful and the newly renovated rooms are delightful. If you can afford it I know you will not be sorry, we try to spend a birthday or anniversary weekend there once a year. Hapuna is nice and so is the Marriott, but they do not compare with the Mauna Kea.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

I agree with AA, Mauna Kea is clearly high above the other two. The Marriott here is the worst Marriott in the world according to one former Marriott hotel executive I know, and she is right. It's a revamped and branded former local hotel with small rooms. While the Hapuna Prince is older than the Marriott, its rooms are much nicer and larger.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

funinthesun said:

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott last September. It was very quiet,

Yes, but September is a dead month and kids are in school. President's Week, OTOH, is one of the most fully booked weeks of the year. The Marriott will not be quiet. It is a family oriented hotel and kids are out of school for that holiday which is often ski week on the mainland.

I recently stayed at the Waikiki Marriott and I agree about the new beds. I pretty much didn't want to get out of the bed, it was so nice. Slept great.

A-bay isn't that nice a beach in February when the berm is up. Hard to walk the beach. Hapuna and Mauna Kea have great walking beaches.

Most agree who have seen them that the Prince rooms are getting old and tired, so I guess it depends on where you want to put your money. Although MK and the Prince are sister hotels. the Prince guests don't get access to MK amenities and are treated like the poor stepchildren when they visit. The honored guests are those staying at Mauna Kea.

Not surprising. The Prince has been going for $75 on Pricelne bids. That is Uncle Billy prices. A great deal for budget travelers. For the better anniversary experience, I'd do the Mauna Kea, but only if you plan to spend time on property. Great way to end your trip.

Upstate NY
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

We were at the Marriot Waikoloa during Presdient's week this year for our 30th anniversay. It was wonderful! Some families, but not anywhere near the Hilton. The pools were heated and the hot tubs were almost always empty at night. We loved A-Bay and didn't have any trouble walking the beach - in fact we liked sitting on the sand berm and watching the whales breaching right offshore. Hapuna Beach was beautiful, but much busier and we prefer the salt and pepper sand. The convenience of the Marriot to the beach couldn't be beat. The first weekend the hotel was full but it emptied out. Terrific location and wonderful friendly staff. We'd stay again in a minute. BTW we Pricelined for $95 a night and were upgraded to oceanfront 6th floor - Fabulous!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

Since you are visiting in February you may want to reserved a car now, then recheck prices as time goes on.

The past few years rental fees for Feb started going up a few months earlier, people that waited too long could not get a car at all.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

We stayed at the Marriott and would definitely go back. It was wonderful, and I found it very comfortable. I respectfully disagree with the Marriott executive, I have seen much worse than this in a Marriott. We stayed for 7 days with our two kids. Plenty to do, nice and relaxing, the way Hawaii is meant to be. All beaches are public, and we tried them all, but were happy to stay at the Marriott after seeing the others.

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

Did you feel that the Marriott rooms were particularly small or average?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea, or Marriott Waikoloa?

The Marriott rooms are relatively small, typical 3 star hotel size. It was a small unpretentious hotel called the Royal Waikoloan, which was purchased by Outrigger, and then Marriott. The rooms were renovated and the common areas expanded, but no one has reported that that the rooms were enlarged in the process.

The Mauna Lani is a whole other class of hotel, of those on your list.