We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uniquely Hawaiian

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Uniquely Hawaiian

Hi, please help me compile a list of wonderful Uniquely Hawaiian products to take home to make me feel better. Looking for everyone's must bring homes and favorites! Would love a rec. for a great candle to remind me of the smell of Hawaii, spices, candy, cookies, coffee anything you can imagine. Maybe a scavenger hunt!

Mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Go to Borders and bring home Hawaiin music you like. I love sarapes and puka shells and such. Def. a scented candle w/ your favorite island flower smell. Def. a great photo of the lava flows. I bought a really nice Japanese fan in Hilo last time there. I luv to buy real guava juice and macadamia nut w/ white chocolate cookies to remind me of Hawaii plus def. a good batch of macadamia nuts not to mention really good Hawaiin coffee and don't forget the Kahlua liqour to go in it. Of couse I pretend every Friday is Hawaiin day and wear my Hawaiin shirts. Then pack that all up in a box and ship it home to yourself and one day when you are back, Aloha :) Putting together a nice pina coloda w/ real pineapple always makes me feel Hawaiin. You've got to have the video w/ the Brothers Cazimero showing the views from the helicopter flying over the falls and strff.

Hawaii: A Musical Postcard 1995 (buy on Amazon)

BTW way if you are on the east side What's Shakin has lots of fun Hawaiin junk to take home. A visit to Hawaiin Art Center in Volcano NP is a good place to find something really special and ship it home.

Now I am "home sick" and wishing I was there :)

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Thanks TJ, those are great ideas. I'm looking for specifics brands if any are your favorite. I love Guava Juice that's a good idea I could ship home!!!! Even better no weight limit.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

I always had a shot glass on my desk filled with the sand I shook out of my shoes.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

David, you have the most gentle spirit. Mahalo

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Kisswells....if you get over to Wiapio Valley the Wiapio Valley Artworks has one of the best selections of Hawaiian wooden art I've seen. Vases, bowls we got my daughter a Koa business card holder she treasures! Check the farmers markets both the one in Kailua-Kona and Alii Gardens, lots of junk but many artists have booths there and it's fun to by jewelry/carvings directly from them.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Yes, that is on my to do list. I'm hoping for some small treasures.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Maybe buy yourself a lava lava. I'm not sure there are a lot that are made here, but wearing one is a reminder of Hawai'i. Like my favorite souvenir from Japan was a kimono.

There was a Hawaiian mother and daughter pair selling lava lavas they made, doing their own dye jobs, and hand made earrings and necklace, down at Nqpo'opo'o. I'm not sure if they're still there.

I don't shop much here except when I go to a fair or festival, and then I am seduced by the wonderful booths. If there's such a thing happening while you're on island, check it out. I love the Kohala Fair, but it's in October.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

Kk, what's a lava lava?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

A lava lava is a term for pareo, or sarong. Pareo is the Tahitian word; lava lava is the Samoan term.

I have no idea what TJ means about sarapes. I associate serapes with Mexico. I've never seen one worn here, except I guess a paniolo might wear one?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the little skirt wraps that the young girls wear as cover-ups. I mean the full body wraps, usually tie-dyed or batiked, also printed. It's the most practical garment for this climate and can't be beat for lounging around.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian

I'm not the right person to give you advice on this subject since wherever I travel I always come back with just food items, lots of food items, but I wonder what the "... and don't forget the Kahlua liquor..." has to do with Hawaii?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States