We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Location Location

Whitchurch-Stouffvil...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Location Location Location

We are visiting the Big Island in Sept. 2010 for one week and staying at the Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa. One of the major "must do's" on our list is visiting the volcanoes National Park. Is this doable from our home base or would we better off staying over a night closer to the park? If we do decide to stay closer, can anyone suggest accomodations that are decent and reasonably priced?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Location Location

It's doable, just leave very early and expect to be back late at night. However, there are so many attractions and sites to see on the East side of the island that you would be better off staying for a night.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,987 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Location Location

This is another question that gets asked daily. If you will look at some prior topics in the forum you will see it discussed over and over again, whether to do a day trip or stay over there, and the merits of each.

For lodgings, check the Hilo and Volcano forum hotels link, also vacation rentals. Check the B&B link. Take a look at Homeaway.com and VRBO.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Location Location

Remember the main belt road is 220 miles around so do you really want to drive that much in one day ?

Its best to plan a full three day loop w/ two nights in HIlo or Volcano.

Allow for one day getting to Volcano making stops at Kona, Captain Cook, Painted Church, Two Step snorkeling, Place of Refuge, Black Sand Beach.

Then one full day in Volcano National Park

Then one day driving back thru Hilo town, Rainbow Falls, Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens, What's Shakin for lunch, Honomum town, and Akaka Falls, and maybe as far north as Waipio Valley overlook.

While you are in Kohala area, make sure you drive up and over the scenic road to Hawi and Pololu Valley overlook then back along the coastline.

Make sure at your scenic stops you take your valuable in your day pack when you leave eye sight of the car with your dirty laundry hidden in the trunk.

Here's a good driving guide, lots of great things to see on the way:

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Location Location Location

aloha micol :)

I was in the exact same location/situation 3 years ago that you find yourself in now. I booked a small room close to the volcano so I woulodn't be so stressed. I'm glad I did, as my plan was to drive to the volcano one morning from Waikoloa. I spent a lot of time on the road stopping and seeing sights. I was exhausted by the time I reached the volcano, and glad I rented a room for the night. The next morning, I was fresh and alert and excited to see as much as I could that day. I was exhausted when I got back to Waikoloa; however, I wouldn't have enjoyed anything if I'd done it all in one day.

I stayed in a little place right outside vnp, for under $100. I'll see if I can find the link if you're interested. Something like the Volcano Inn????? It was nice, clean, and kind of Jurassic Park-ish in size of plants right outside my window.

jc

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location Location Location

You could but it is a terrible waste..

I second 1 or better 2 nights in volcano...

Day 1.... drive slowly down the east to Hilo and the Volcano, with stops a good 5 to 6 hour drive Arrive at the park around 2 and take a free ranger led orientation and see the movie all 3 in the theater....

Day 2... Get up earily see the sights and take both a morning and afternoon ranger led walks free See the night view of Haleumaumau as it pulses and pumps

Day 3 Take in another ranger program and then depart via hiway 11 through kona , about 3 hours back to Waikoloa. With stops make it 5 hour drive.

Kiluea Lodge best food and place to stay.....

There is way more to see than the volcano.... lush flower filled forests, Lava tubes, pertoglyphs, Living history, visitor centers, dozens of walks , rare birds and plants.... Oh and lava on the side... You dont have to be a geo professor to get total into this HUGE park.... its like the size of the island of Kauai....

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Location Location Location

Found it!

Here's the link to Volcano Inn ~ it's right outside the park.

http://volcanoinnhawaii.com/

It's really interesting as one entire wall of your room is glass. It's like living in a terrarium. And the towel bars in the bathrooms are heated! A nice touch as I found that area rather chilly.

jc

7. Re: Location Location Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 07:16