We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and sat nav from UK

uk
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental and sat nav from UK

Hi,

Just wondering whether UK residents can book car rental through Costco and if not, whether there are any other suggestions for cheap car rental? Also, do I really need a sat nav on Big Island and/or Kauai? I know Big Island is 'big' but how well is it signposted - would a map do?

Grateful for your advice

Ella

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,755 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

It's sign-posted very well at main highway junctures, after which the road typically runs as the main road with little signage until another major intersection. Major scenic attractions and parks are well signed. Hotels and resorts have signs but not as large as for County, State, and National Parks and monuments.

I think a map works fine. I never had a GPS when visiting and I never needed one. For either of the larger towns, Hilo and Kailua, if you plan to get off the beaten path you will want a map showing street detail, as the streets go off at angles and don't always go through as connector roads, stuff like that.

The rest of the island you could pretty much do with a map just showing the major arteries.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

since there are only 2 hiways on the entire island.... a gps it totaly not needed... get any map.... and they are so simple.... its pretty tough to get lost

you would have to really try.

I have no idea what costco does... I avoid them

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

I've had good luck booking with Priceline, although not on the big island (it was Maui) and in other states. They use the larger companies and the cars have always been fine. I think the best thing is to make a reservation with a company that allows cancellation and then try for a priceline car closer to your arrival date. Be sure that you have the credit card that you charged the car on and they only allow one driver for the price you get and charge a lot for additional drivers, at least at the places I got the cars. I assume that UK citizens can rent via Priceline just as US citizens can, I don't know why not. I would think that if you were a member of Costco no matter your nationality you could rent through them.

Sally in Seattle

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
438 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

Ella,

As a non-American renter like us, I'd recommend you check out this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k345811…

The short version is that I think you'll find it best to rent through the UK branches of the major firms - such as budget.co.uk or avis.co.uk. These offer very competitive 'all inclusive' rates, i.e. with the insurances you'll need. Either that or check out www.carrrentalhawaii.com who also cater for us foreigners whose needs are a little different from the typical US renter.

Come back with any questions if you like - and I agree with others, no need for GPS on the Big Island, though I'm sure they'll rent you one with the car if you want! There is basically one two-lane highway which runs around the island - most things you'd be looking to see are probably not too far off this road which is known as Hwy 11 in the south and Hwy 19 in the north, if memory serves.

Dom

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

The car rental agencies have found a new profit center...the GPS. They saw how peopel could be so worked up in fear over water than they are willing to pay any price.

Now the deal is to make visitors uneasy and worried.. they need to have a GPS.... it might save your life.... you have to have your hand held, you know you do.... you could never do it on your own..." and for only $15 a day +tax.

This GPS thing is an artficial and contrived thing that grasps at computor and techno lovers.

I was in Seattle at Hertz recently and renter a car for 2 weeks to drive to the black hills. The agent said oh thats 1200 miles you will need a GPS. I declined . He said, you will never make it thats 2400 miles..and you have never been there. I pulled out a regular hiway map and a compass and said this is how. The agent and now another agent stared at the compass ..".whats that." I said it tells me what direction I am going or need to go. "Does it down load from a satelite or your lap top, cell phone"

No I laughed, its a simple magnet. " No way... they replied it will never work. I replied, "Well it worked for Columbus, Byrd, Lindberg and Magellian " And one agent said, and I quote, " Did they rent from us"?

In disbelief, I replied "I think you would have to ask them."

So do you need a GPS....really maybe if your calling in a air attack... but on vacation ?

6. Re: car rental and sat nav from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 06:20