We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Send your luggage ahead by mail

Utah
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Send your luggage ahead by mail

With the highway robbery the airlines are charging to check in a bag, has anyone sent their luggage either to the post office or to their resort?

Good or bad idea?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I've been tempted just to avoid lugging stuff (we each get 3 free bags on UAL so checked bag fees don't pertain for us). But the fee for express services is very high for much weight.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I briefly checked the post office's rates, and the airlines seem to be a MUCH better deal. A 40 lb package runs you $18 to $40 depending on where you are shipping to each way.

UPS ran nearly $60 each way.

If you have small, heavy stuff to send, the flat rate boxes might be worth it.

The main reason to ship your luggage would be to avoid the hassle at the airport and lugging your bags into a rental car.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I am in the same boat ( actualy a plane) that Hounu is I get free bags from united...This is one reason to stick with one airline.

Ok I recently checked first bag is $25 second is$ 35 each way. for a 60" 50 lb max bag

Bag # 3, 4 ,5 will be $100 per bag ( was $125)

UPS will ship you 50 lb luggage for $65 each way...usp ground 6 da

Federal Express will charge $95 each fed x ground 5 day delevery

This is for Kona to the west coast UT may be higher

The post office........they who take real pride in receiving mail? allow about 3 weeks parcel post....no joke

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

A good argument for trying to cram everything into one carry on and one brief case.....just the essentials. That way you can focus on traveling vs. managing stuff when you want to pick up and go.

I usually only use half of the stuff I bring along anyways.

Also, I definitely mail stuff home that I might buy on my way around the island vs. trying to cram it back into my luggage.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

"A good argument for trying to cram everything into one carry on and one brief case.....just the essentials."

This is why Spirit is now charging for carryons.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I agree...I loathe the packed to the gills travelers who smash and bash things into overheads....way out of control all over $25 bucks....where have manners gone and consideration for other passengers?

However, another reason to fly economy plus in United....reserved overhead bins and

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

Staying in a hotel, not a condo, I have no desire to spend the first day of my trip shopping for sunscreen, skin lotion, various liquids and gels that I can take in a checked bag and pay less for at home. (I am picky about brands, in part because of allergies.) Even with a free guest laundry, I do not want to be laundering every couple of days. Plus we like our own snorkel gear including the fins, shorties, skins, rash guards. So we check. I guess I cede the higher ground of traveling light to others. I bring what I use. Sticking with United, we can bring what we want without a bag fee. And get Economy Plus year round.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 20:04
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

New program just announced for Delta/Amex card holders, first bag free for you and up to 8 companions:

delta.com/traveling_checkin/…

Utah
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I am not one of the lucky ones. Nice to know about United though. My major predicament is that we are flying from SLC->LAX on points with Southwest (which is great, we get 1 free bag), then the following day we fly LAX->KOA (layover in HNL) on Hawaiian. I know the flight really stinks!

I really don't want to mess with luggage/baggage claim and the rest of the hassle that comes with it. So, I was thinking maybe a week or so before FED EX or UPS a box of our stuff (we like to take our Snorkle/Scuba stuff with us too).

The hubby is 6' 3 and has size 12 shoes! That in itself takes up an entire carry-on. I consider us very conservative packers. We are staying in a condo, and don't mind washing our clothes every couple days, but I have a hard time spending $$ on things I could pack a week or so before and send on its way to have when we arrive.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Send your luggage ahead by mail

I would pack light getting to Hawaii (most people bring about 2x what they really need )and then anything you pick up on the way, send back via the USPS priority flat rate boxes. That is the cheapest and quickest way to mail things, especially if they are heavy. It isn't such a deal if it is light weight though. Have a great trip! :)