We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelicans?

Montoursville...
2 posts
Save Topic
Pelicans?

Are there any pelicans native to Hawaii?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelicans?

No pelicans here. Why?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,665 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelicans?

Maybe there is some other bird that fills that niche in the ecosystem--diving for small fish. Cormorant, albatross? But then we do have cormorants and pelicans in the same places on the mainland. However, I don't think we have albatrosses on the Atlantic Coast (at least in North America, not sure about South America).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelicans?

I am not 100% on the difference if any between herons and egrets, but we have white ones; those are the only larger shore birds I can think of. A heron will nab a koi out of its pond.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/Great…

For large non-shorebirds we have the Hawaiian owl (pueo) and we do have hawks.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelicans?

Our white birds are Cattle Egrets, which are not a shore bird. They're found, and they feed, inland on bugs and lizards. I'm told they'll eat centipedes.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pelicans?

Maybe they are doing a school project....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pelicans?

Funny, I always see the herons flying near the ocean and not inland, so I thought they at least liked the shore area, but I defer to pzp's bird knowledge.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pelicans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_Egret

8. Re: Pelicans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:16