We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Hawaii

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time in Hawaii

Hello all,

My husband gave my a surprise to hawaii this August one week.

As it will be our first time there, I am hoping to get from tips on what island or islands would be the best to visit.

Also, is the water calm and warm?

Is the weather good in August?

Thanks for all information.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Hawaii

Aloha

You have posted this question on the Island of Hawaii forum commonly referred to as the Big Island you will probably get more answers to your question posting on just the Hawaii forum.

Most people start with a visit to either Oahu or Maui and if you have just a week most of us reccomend you stick to one island.

Get yourself a good guidebook and read up on the different islands I like the Lonely Planet guides myself.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Hawaii

Hmm, the first time here you'll probably want to see the sights you've always heard about, but I can't imagine any way you could begin to do that in a week, so you'll have to pick one island and plan to come back. If you want hustle and bustle, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, and Waikiki, you'll want Oahu. If you want lots of shopping interspersed with great beaches, consider Maui. If you want the volcano, come to the big island called Hawai'i. (That's what this forum is all about). If you imagine Hawai'i to be a soft place, laid back, a place with lots of 'aloha' take a look at Kona Village Resort. I'm a completely out-of-control fan of KVR and have done a website as a gift to the resort that might be worth a look. Go to www.davidskvr.net and see if you might like it for 3 or 4 days. You could see the volcano by helicopter and they'll pick you up and drop you off at the village. Finally, wherever you go, don't try to do more than one island. PS: I didn't see the previous post before I posted, but we are in total agreement.

David

Edited: 05 July 2010, 00:37
London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Hawaii

Opps, wrong forum, but thanks for the tips. I will get some books.

Take care

4. Re: First Time in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 07:17