We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Hi there,

I have been reading the Hawaii boards for the last 7 months or since we booked out flights. We are staying in a Bed and Breakfast in Captain Cook and are in our late 40's early 50's.

Now we are going to do the big stuff like Volcano National Park but where I am struggling is with the smaller things, like beaches to visit, small towns to look at. I think a lot of the confusion comes just looking at the names and spellings of all these places and then I get almost a "tourist dyslexia" and my mind goes blank as everything almost appears the same. Dont take that as an insult though.

Like the other 99% of the people that visit Hawaii it is our "dream trip" and we are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary.

But our needs are very simple. We love to drive, sight see and take photos. We arent foodies, we like history and historical sights, and we want to do a bit of easy to medium hiking and sit and relax on a beach or two.

Our hosts at our B and B are obviously very knowledgeable about the island and for that reason I havent done to much research about the smaller things. Of course I have now had time to sit down and think about this as our trip gets closer and closer and am now starting to panic a little!

We have never snorkelled before though equipment will be available to us so we are going to give it a try.

Not really sure what I am trying to say in this post. I realise that a lot of people that visit Hawaii are restricted to one week whereas we have 10 days on Hawaii and then the last 4 days on Oahu. Oahu for some reason isnt bothering me as much.

The one thing my wife would like to do is horseback riding and we figure that Parker ranch may be the place for that.

Any suggestions, ideas, comforting pats on the back and words of wisdom are welcome.

Pete

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,269 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

You might want to consider horseback riding in Waipio Valley. There are several places that offer rides - we went with Waipio on Horseback. Just the ride down in their 4x4 van was an adventure - then horseback riding through the valley was gorgeous!

3Chihuahuas

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

3 chi, I checked out their website but cant find any price listings.

Do you remember how much you paid, that looks to be our kind of thing

Pete

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

The ride into Waipio is amazing! The artworks at the trailhead is even MORE amazing. Don't miss the place of refuge and if you are newbie snorkelers do the Fair Wind cruise for a wonderful introduction. to snorkeling with great food and crew.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,269 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

We went a few years ago - I seem to remember it ran about $130.00 for the two of us. Definitely worth it as there was no other way for us to get down and see the valley - the road is soooooooooooooo steep. Oh, wear bug repellent.

Try to spend some time on the East side of the island. The drive from Waipio to Hilo is beautiful. Little towns and waterfalls to check out. Laupahoehoe Point is a great place to just sit and watch the ocean.

3Chihuahuas

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Aloha Pete,

My husband and I are heading to the Big island on Sept 3 for 12 days. We are in our late 50's. and this will be our 6th trip to the island. We'd like to suggest some of our favorite spots.

For easy beginning snorkeling try Kahalulu Beach Park.

It's close to where you are staying and you will pass it on your way to Captain Cook. Once you feel comfortable, I agree the Fairwinds snorkel cruise, especially the Hula Kai boat, is one of the best. Don't worry they take good care of you.

Also agree Honaunau also called Place of Refuge, just south of Captain Cook is a must. So much history and beauty.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Other favs: Going north from Cap Cook: drive up to Holualoa a small artist town, spend a day at Waialea Beach (also called beach69, used to be # on phone pole, now is 71) beautiful, sandy, smaller and less crowded. We also like Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea Luau, Lapakahi State Historical Park, Kawaihae town, shops and Cafe Pesto 4 good pizza. go east to Waimea also known as Kamuela and then go north to Hawi town, shops and Bamboo Restaurant is good. At the end of the road you can hike down to Pololu Beach, not too difficult and gorgeous photo ops and black sand. On you way to Waipi'o

gotto go to Tex's in Honoka'a for malasadas. On the east head south to Laupahoehoe Point, Akaka Falls and of course to Hilo.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

To have the best time in Hawaii, remember to relax, slow down, smile and enjoy talking to the people you meet . Also remember driving around the Island takes much longer than you may plan.

A great guide book is: Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed, 5th edition.

Have you checked out Konaweb.com for more tips and on visiting the Island and a great events calendar as well as their monthly Konaweb party, which we are attending.

Have a wonderful 20th Anniversary!

Aloha

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Hi Pete:

There is a lot of great gurus on this site and no doubt you have been soaking up their knowledge. The 'save post' feature on these forums is great and for the past few months I have been saving topics that interest me in my upcoming trip folder.

We arrive on 9/9 and will be at Waikoloa. If you are into trying new foods or just enjoy watching the Food Network you might want to attend the Taste of the Hawaiian Range (tasteofthehawaiianrange.com/event/Mealani-Ev…). My wife is into that sort of thing and chefs from many restaurants on the island are featured there.

Other than that, you might enjoy a trip to the Visitor's Center at Mauna Kea or a trip to the summit for the sunset.

If you are interested there is a good thread or two going on right now about visiting coffee farms. Most give free tours.

The aforementioned horseback ride and the night snorkel with the mantas are two things I have booked so far. The rest are things like a day in Volcano NP and hanging out at the beach.

Best of luck planning and utilize the great repository of information that is this message board.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

We plan to attend the Taste Of The Hawaiian Range also. It sounds wonderful!

We are staying at a beach house at Puako.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving Sept 5th - struggling with ideas

Aw, I don't think you need to worry. What month are you coming though? Ocean conditions change as it gets into winter.

t's great that you have a good amount of time and don't need to rush.

Staying in Captain Cook (which B&B?), you're in a great location for making a day trip to the volcano, for visiting South Point, and of course Place of Refuge, also the Painted Church.

The coffee towns can be fun to browse. My first trip here I stayed in Honaunau, and we hung out in these little places quite a bit. These include Honaunau, Captain Cook, Kealakekua, Honalo. Kainaliu, Holualoa.

Honaunau (Two Step) is known as a snorkeling spot, but be aware it is really an intermediate spot. When there is surge, you can get slammed into the lava rock on the exit. So have a good look at the water conditions before you try it. I would not go there for a first snorkel.

The drawback to your location is that the traffic is famously slow going back and forth to Kailua Kona. I would plan the trips north to get the most out of them, rather than thinking to just dash into town, as that will get old. Your dining choices are somewhat limited for such a long stay down there.

I have to be honest; I've stayed a week down there twice and it was more than enough to be so far from anything -- and we do like to just hang out and smell the coffee. There is not much to do in Captain Cook. Three days and you've more than covered it all once.

If you do go to Waipi'o for a morning ride, you could do the North Kohala loop in the afternoon, or just browse around Honoka'a and Waimea. You're going to be 3-3 1/2 hours each way from Hilo, and that's without stops or breaks, driving as fast as you legally can. Seeing that area will be the biggest challenge.

It's too bad you couldn't stay in two areas, considering how much time you have.