We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Hi -

We are staying up the Waikoloa area and have no qualms driving to dine but are mostly interested in staying in the NW vs. heading down to Kona area (although we might do that one night). So I want to hear some thoughts from folks since I'm trying to decide on 1 or 2 really nice meals. Looking at Brown's Beach House, Merriman's in Waimea and Daniel Thiebaut's in Waimea. Of those can you rank in order of your preference? We are not interested in Roy's but if there are any others north of the airport we should consider for a special dinner I' welcome suggestions too. Thanks.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

We ate at Daniel Thiebaut's a couple years ago, but others have told me that Merriman's is the better of the two in Waimea. I would also consider Pahui`a at the Four Seasons Hualalai. IMHO that is the best (and most expensive) meal on the Big Island. It is right on the water, with a great bar right above. It would be closer than Waimea.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Also consider Hale Samoa at Kona Village Resort. It is adjacent to Four Seasons. To get a glimpse of it, go here: davidskvr.net/Life_in_the_Soft_Lane/9._Dinne…

There's a sample menu at the bottom of the page.

Be sure to make a reservation so your name is on the guard's list...

David

Edited: 06 September 2010, 21:24
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Of the three, I would say BROWN's because of the ambiance, ocean view, serene music (especially if Nino Kaai is performing). Sunset over the ocean, music, torches lit. waves lapping, good food and drink...priceless!!!

We go there every trip for our first dinner; lately we have been going twice a trip. We stay at Mauna Lani and walk over, shuttle back.

fairmont.com/orchid/…BrownsBeachHouse.htm

Plus the 4-course set menu for $59 is a good price!!!!

Edited: 07 September 2010, 00:03
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

We were at Merriman's a couple of weeks ago. The dinner was good, not great, unfortunately. It was very expensive, however. The room is pretty, service very good. Yet, the food didn't really live up to its reputation.

I would recommend the Canoe House. Very good meal, good service, interesting wine list. Have fun.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

We ate at Brown's Beach House just a few days ago. The food was very good and expensive. The ambiance was nice - outdoor seating on the beach with live music. Certainly worth going to but take a look at the menu and see if the price is okay with you. They also have a special menu in celebration of their 20th anniversary. However, be aware that it's not a "bargain" by any means. The pricing is about the same as if you ordered each item separately.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

You will get a good and bad posts just about every restaurant. I have been a Director of Food & Beverage for 25 years, so I judge restaurants somewhat differently than most others. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three you asked about, but the three best restaurants on the West side of the island are Pahui'a (Four Seasosn), Hale Samoa (Kona Village Resort) and Holuakoa Gardens (Holualoa.)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Merriman's is in a strip mall, even though it's stand alone. Too many tables.

Brown's is lovely setting. Prices used to be high but worth it, last time I felt pure sticker shock. As long as you go in expecting to pay more than the cost of a nightly hotel room for dinner for two, it's all good I guess.

TT's faves I cannot afford or are too far out of my geographical range (Holualoa). I trust his taste though.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

I wanted to do a special dinner on the Big Island so we have reservations at Brown's on the 14th. We aren't huge seafood lovers so the menu and reviews steered me to them. We'll give Merriman's in the shopping center a go for lunch as well. Off to Waikoloa on Thursday!

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll look into some of the otehrs mentioned.

I had mentioned Brown's because I was draw to the descriptions of the atmosphere. It sounds lovely and I had read good reviews of it. I mentioned Thiebaut's in part because it had some decent reviews and the location sounded interesting...and Merriman's well just because I'd also seen reviews about it and liek Thiebaut's is in Waimea.

We are not "foodies" but for a special meal we seek really good service, a lovely atmosphere and good food - not food that tries too hard if you know what I mean, or snooty service. Uppity or snooty service would ruin a meal. I definitely would not enjoy a place I feel like we're being taken $$ wise a bit and it sounds like Merriman's is a tad like that. This dinner will include my DH and I, our 6 yr old and my 80 yr old dad.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which would you choose for a nice meal?

Canoe House has been on the snooty side in the past, as you said, trying too hard. Brown's is really relaxed. Four Seasons I have only had lunch, and I did find the server too ... um, noticeable in his provision of service. My idea of great service is there when you want them and not there unless you do, and not a big spiel about the food unless asked -- and then an honest answer, not pretentious.

I think you'll be happy with Brown's. Try to get there before sunset.

They ALL take you for $$ as far as I'm concerned. $65 entrees are too much, especially a la carte. This is not New York City or even San Francisco.