We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Hayward, California
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

What is with the BIg Island and the police ticketing tourists non-stop? This seems to be a huge problem as everyone is paranoid to drive quickly, and the police are all over the place in vehicles deliberately made to look like rentals, They're driving around in SUV's and Mustangs and pulling people over all over to give tickets. Is this the new economy of Hawaii?

We got a ticket on Saddle Road, which is straight, in the middle of NOWHERE, with no buildings or trees as far as the eye can see. They had a whole trap set up with police at both ends tailing people and calling it into the guy at the other end. They had lines of cars pulled over to give tickets and are rude about it.

Does anyone know if Hawaii has the speed trap law like CA? They have to have an engineering survey of the road showing the average speed on it, and if it's 10 mph over what is posted, it's illegal. They have that section posted at 55! One guy even said 45! (Several police--they couldn't keep their stories straight. )

This alone would make me say no way to going back to the Big Island. They're just clearing using tourists to make a boatload of money.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Were you speeding?

2. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 October 2010, 05:21
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Don't get paranoid now....

Only half of them are really after you.

1. BI police drive their own cars for the most part. So you will see all types of cop car vehicles SUVs to muscular sporty type ones. They are not trying to look like tourists.

2. The Saddle Road is one of the most dangerous roads in the stste. Only recently has it been improved to the point all rental car agencies permit it's use. Lots of good people have died on that stretch of asphalt, and waaay to many people just blow through it. It NEEDS to have speed tightly controlled.

3. We don't need no stinkin' badges!!! No I don't think Hawaii has the same traffic laws as Cali. Just drive the speed limit and all is cool.

4. Everyone wishes there were so many cops on the BI. It is the size of Conn with only a fraction of the resources. And trying to move traffic safely over it's road system is a major challenge nowadays.

5. We'd appreciate it if our visitors wouldn't speed, just like we would appreciate you following our other laws.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 06:08
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

55 is the highest posted speed limit on the island, and quite possibly in the state. (amberloo would know).

This is not California. In Hawai'i the speed limit is what is posted, not a derivative of what average speed the cars are doing. I drove in California for over thirty years of my life. I learned to drive there. It's different here.

They own the cars, traditionally, which saves the Dept. the budget costs of buying a fleet. Instead they get paid a supplement. The cars aren't marked because they don't belong to the County. Make sense? Recently the County purchased a number of marked cars, mostly white SUV's, and they are becoming more common.

Look for dark blue or white vehicles with blue lights on top. Those are cops.

I got here eight years agp and it's the same as it ever was, nothing new due to the economy. They ticket residents just as much as tourists -- if residents are dumb enough to speed when they know the likelihood of a ticket. And they do speed, and drink and drive, and crash their cars, and kill people on a regular basis -- so I'm happy for the enforcement.

Hawaii Police Department is professional and serious. If you screwed up and got caught, you should grovel and be polite, just like anywhere else. For some reason some tourists expect police to say

"Aloha, I see you were going a tad fast. Here is a flower lei and a warning. Mahalo for visiting our island."

No, their concern is public safety, not public relations, so best to take your lumps and learn the lesson ... which is

YOU ARE NOT IN CALIFORNIA ANY MORE! Speed limit signs mean what they say.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 08:00
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Here's a recent example of what HPD deals with all too often:

hawaii247.com/2010/…

Scroll down and look at the three photos under the map.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Traveslalot123, as we say over in Oz:

Maaaaate...Chill out a bit. If you play the game, you can expect to lose. This is a no-brainer here. Don't exceed the speed limit and keep your eyes on the road. If you don't, then expect to get booked but please don't moan about it.

Hey, I'm no motoring angel. My personal record of driving offences could be printed out on a toilet roll and I know I deserved each and every one of them. I loved to speed and yahoo about on a bike and in a car.

It's their job to keep us from self-destruction. I don't think a wheelie at 75mph up a hill on a highway would go down too well on The Big Island. It sure didn't at home in Oz. Still remember the cops flipping a coin to see if I was going to spend a night in the lock-up. I didn't. Similarly, racing a cop car at over 100mph on a Norton was futile. Can't outrun a Motorola radio haha!.

Settled down about 30yrs ago and I (usually) abide the road rules now. I try especially hard to be good when I'm in another country. Suggest you do too.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Gee... the OP seems to have disappeared. How strange.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

Might be in lock-up. Do they have tripadvisor, or just bailadvisor?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

>>> This alone would make me say no way to going back to the Big Island.

because the cops on the other islands don't give tickets?

Harley, you're a hoot, and your youthful driving sounds ... scary.

btw, I'm no angel either and I don't want to jinx it, but I'm not sure how I've managed to drive all these years and never get a speeding ticket. Just lucky.

They didn't use to patrol the Saddle Road before they fixed it so you can drive fast on it. I wish they could raise the speed limit on the straightaway, but there's probably a reason they can't, and I bet amberloo knows what it is.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's with the Police and Speed Traps?

The OP would really hate Oregon, the speed trap capital of the US.