We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Hotel: Castle Hilo Hawai

Any other hotel recommendations?

Budget: Upto $200/night

Want to stay close to the airport and the volcano national park?

Taking the helicopter ride over the volcanoes and visiting the volcanoes is a top priority

Reading too many mixed comments about this hotel!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Hilo is not know for "best" hotels or great beaches for that matter.

I would splurge a little bit and stay at the Shipman House - Hilo or Kilauea Lodge - Volcano. The other approach save your money and get basic accomodations at either Dolphin Bay Hotel - Hilo or My Island B&B - Volcano.

Then you'll have extra cash for a Circle Island heli ride :)

If you are headed to Volcano check the weather cause if its fogged over it won't be a very good day. Volcano is an easy self guided day trip from Hilo so that's where I would base my stay plus spend a full day touring gardens and water falls on that side especially Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Check out the B&B listings instead of the hotels ... none of the hotels are nice.

then post your frontrunners for feedback ...

without know your taste it's hard to recommend.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

>>> Taking the helicopter ride over the volcanoes and visiting the volcanoes is a top priority

From your wording, it sounds like you might not have read up on the eruption and VNP. Be sure to check out the lava viewing topic and follow the links. You will only be "visiting" one volcano. The other four volcanoes make up the island but they are not currently active. The eruption and the National Park are not in the same place at present.

Please read up on what you will be seeing as it will help you decide where to stay, according to your interests.

California
Level Contributor
770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

The Hilo Hawaiian isn't bad, it's just dated. A room overlooking the bay is worth the price.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

"Taking the helicopter ride over the volcanoes and visiting the volcanoes is a top priority"

Sounds like us. Here's what we did:

We flew into Hilo from Maui, arriving around 10:20 am. Then we took a Tropical Helicopters Doors Off Flight - absolutely fantastic.

Then we drove to Volcano and stayed at the Volcano Village Lodge for two nights. I highly recommend VVL - was a great base to explore the park. We explored the park for parts of three days. We also explored the southern part of Hawaii island during our stay on the Hilo side. We then headed to Kona for 4 nights and left from KOA.

As an FYI, the Kilauea Lodge mentioned above seemed also like a nice place to stay - we had a nice dinner there one of the nights (we ate at Thai Thai also).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Volcano Village Lodge gets consistently high praise, if it's in your price range, which it might be. Volcano is 45 minutes and a 4000 foot climb from the airport, so Hilo could be more convenient, depending on how soon you tour starts after your arrival. You don't want to drive up to Volcano for a couple hours and back down, or at least I wouldn't.

Another thing we don't know is where you're arriving from and where you're departing from here, whether by car or by plane, which direction if driving, etc..

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Good point KK.

For us, I had originally booked the helicopter for soon after arrival, but changed it to about an hour later because I wasn't sure about delays, etc. So, what we did after we arrived, was get the car, drive into town (about 5 minutes) went to Ken's House of Pancakes (ten minute drive at most) and had brunch. Then we drove back to the airport for the helicopter ride before heading up to Volcano for good. It's all in the timing.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Okay searched lava flow.

Is the current lava flow at : Kilauea (Lava Flow)

Link: www.letsgo-hawaii.com/volcano/lavaflow.html

I also found : Kapapana, Big Island of Hawaii

Which one is it? And how far is it from the National volcano park?

Also which helicopter ride & company would you recommend?

Looked at paradise helicopters - Open door trip

I dont want to be spending too much over $200 - $250 on the ride.

Which one gives the best bang for the buck?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

Instead of google searching, search with the forum search bar. You must have used google to get lets-go. Anyhow, look for the topics in the last two pages on lava viewing. Lava Viewing 2010 has all the info you need, so I'm not going to retype it all, hope you understand it gets repetitive.

We have a complete resource topic. Also look at the Top Questions in the forum on the upper right side ...

USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this the best hotel on the Hilo side? : Castle Hilo Hawai

I understand the mixed reviews of the Hilo Hawaiian. I'm one of those who actually kind of like the place (I don't LOVE it but I think it's okay). I prefer 5 star resorts but you don't find those in Hilo. When in Hawaii though I want to be on the water with a waterfront view. The places near Hilo that are nicer don't have water views. The Hilo Hawaiian has a great view of Hilo Bay. Waterfront rooms cost very little. The hotel, as has been mentioned, is dated. But that's okay now and then. Hilo is a great little town and this hotel fits into the low-key style of the town. The restaurant is okay - actually it's better than the hotel. When we have stayed at this hotel it has only been for a few days so that we could be near VNP.