We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

Edmonton
7 posts
Save Topic
Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

I am looking for a reputable place to get my daughter's ears pierced on the Big Island. We are going to be staying at both sides of the island in February. I don't think I want to take her to a tattoo and piercing parlour. Any suggestions?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

There are, last I heard, Claire's stores in the Queen's Marketplace in Waikoloa and in Hilo as well. Perfect place to get a little girl's ears pierced, they probably have some really cute Honu studs to start with.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

Why don't you pierce her ears before you leave on your trip, maybe even sooner than later? Why do it there? I would worry of a possible infection, you never know, I would not want to deal with that on vacation.

On the BI you can buy her some nice earrings, but pierce her ears before.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

I agree with scorchestra.... Get them done prior to leaving Canada...with a good cushion of time in between for healing etc. Nothing like being in good old Canada (Healthcare) if there is a potential for possible follow-up medical TX .I.e Antibiotics, I& D...following an "elective" procedure...however Minor.

....Possible insurance coverage issues.

Swimming in "various" waters following a piercing could increase the chance of infection.

The likelilhood of complications is probably small.. but.why risk it?

Edited: 29 January 2011, 17:40
Edmonton
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

Thanks so much for your input. We leave on Tuesday, so getting it done before hand is out. I just really wanted to suprise her with this b/c she's been asking for a while and I thought it would be very memorable for her to get it done in Hawaii. If I do decide to do it I think I'll wait until our last day so we won't have to worry about swimming and the whole infection aspect.

Great to know there's Claire's.

Mahalo!

California
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

It was still at the Queens shopping center as of the other day. I would also wait until the end of your trip because of infections from pool and ocean water.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

Yep, infection was my first thought, before I read any replies.

I cannot see what is the good side to having this done on a trip. She won't be able to wear nice earrings for a couple weeks. Ear piercing can be done anywhere.

I am not sure that the plane pressurization will not aggravate the fresh wound. I would ask a medical professional before doing it and then getting on what sounds like a long haul flight.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

She will need to keep them clean, clean, clean! Sweat, sand, sunscreen, ocean water, pool water ... you name it! Buy her some cute little earrings in Hawaii, but wait and get her ears pierced at home in a more controlled environment. You don't want to spend your vacation looking for a clinic with an unhappy kid on your hands!

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

Dd12 got her ears pierced last August. She was in pain for at least a week. The salt water of the pools and ocean would be terrible on the open wound. I'd wait until you get back.

9. Re: Ear piercing for 10 yr old on BI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 08:22