We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay safe and well

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
stay safe and well

thoughts and prayers are with you all

hope everyone and their homes remain safe

take care

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay safe and well

Thank you!

So far, so good, but absolute craziness in Hilo with all the low areas being evacuated, all the sirens going off.

My kids in Waikoloa Village report the hotel visitors are hanging in the parking lot by the store, at least some of them.

fingers crossed ...

I live high enough to where I'm not worried about my house, but there is no cell phone, and the internet could go ... so it I'm not around, that's why.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay safe and well

As a science teacher it's fascinating to see the earth 'at work'. I just taught tsunamis last week. That said, everyone be safe!! Looking forward to video and images.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay safe and well

Yup, hundreds of us came up here but the later it gets with no sign of impending doom and several are leaving to head back down to shore. We're going to wait until 1st light.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay safe and well

I've heard on a live stream that this may be a non-event with little impact. I sure hope so. Either way, stay safe everyone and let's hope it is a non-event.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay safe and well

I hope so.

In 1960, the wave was a non-event on Oahu, but a 35 foot wave in Hilo Bay. So in Hilo it is all taken very seriously.

The store shelves are empty ... so whatever may come of the tsunami, it will still be an event.

In one of the two Hilo tsunamis, most people died after the first wave passed and they thought it was over. They went home. Then the second wave hit.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay safe and well

Thank goodness it is a non-event. The all clear has not been given but everyone is hopeful it will be within the hour. The traffic in Kailua-Kona is crazy, I just drove through safeway and walmart and not a parking spot to be found, same for the highway. Like last time evacuation of Alii drive went smoothly and efficiently... kuddos to the powers to be.. everyone had to be out of the area by 3AM. We are going to have some very tired people today.. schools are closed and non essential government works are off today. When I get back to Hale Kona Kai I will let you know how far the wave(s) made it..

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay safe and well

Just spoke with an "official" who said that it will be dawn before an all clear will go out..

Horsham, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay safe and well

Stay safe folks!

Take care,

TFG

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay safe and well

As of 9:00AM Alii Drive is still closed. This video was shot at the Royal Kona Resort last night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCV182S5y4

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stay safe and well

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Glad that all of us caught a "miss" on this one - but it does look like the Kona area received some damage - at least from the shots they are showing on the news. Not sure what resort it is that they keep showing.

Glad that the Big Island is safe - along with all the rest of us!

Malama Pono,

Janet